Delvac? Anybody using this oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I typically use Rotella 15W-40 in all of my water-cooled bikes and power equipment.

However - I got quite the smokin' deal on some Mobil Delvac 15W-40 so decided to try it out.

On several bikes - can hold the clutch for a couple seconds and then put it in gear with no clunk. On my son's sportbike he almost has to roll the bike a fuzz just to make it go into gear (after holding the clutch for, say, ten seconds).

Whatever this oil does, it seems to promote good clutch separation.

What the heck... I decided to dump a quart into the primary chaincase on my Harley. It improved the shifting and really reduced the "clunk" into first gear. I had been using Rotella for this application.

Yes, almost any oil will make a bike shift better when first changed. A fresh oil change has that effect. Have been using the Delvac all summer......

Anyone?

Last edited:
I tried it in a 91 Goldwing I used to own and wasn't satisfied with the performance of the clutch in that bike. It came highly recommended by other Wing owners on another forum.

So I removed it and went back to Rotella 15w-40 in that bike.

I use the Rotella synthetic in my V Star and am quite satisfied with the clutch and shifting in that bike.

Don't know why the Goldwing didn't like the Delvac or Rotella synthetic for that matter. It only had 43K miles on it when I sold it.

I would use delvac if walmart sold it in quarts. I use chevron delo. I used rotella once with no complaints. Anyone HDEO is solid for you bike. I chose Delo because Chevron is an American company and Shell it dutch.

Delvac or any other HDEO will work and work perfectly fine in this type of application it's a quality oil.

Yeah, there are a lot of folks that use Rotella, Delvac, or Delo in their bikes. I've always been a Rotella fan because I never had a problem with it. That, and the fact that the newer bottles list "JASO MA" on the back. Well, and it was pretty much available anywhere and was reasonably priced.

Delo has a fair amount of moly in it and I just don't see it on the shelves around these parts.

Still hadn't seen any reason to switch from Rotella.....

But, being the cheap sob that I am and getting this smoking deal on Delvac... I decided to try it.

I have used (in the past) Rotella Synthetic, Mobil 1 4T Racing, SuperTech, and a slew of others. This Delvac makes for better and smoother shifting on my bikes than anthing else I've tried. Ahhh but it's like the others in than the shifting starts to get notchy around the 3,000 mile mark.

The old Delo had 220 ppm of moly, the new Delo 400 LE does not. There's no moly issue at all with this oil other than better shift than Rotella. $2.87 per quart at walmart makes it a steal if you want a 15w40.

Stick your nose in a quart of Rotella, then stick your nose in a bottle of Delo and smell the synthetic componentry.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy

Stick your nose in a quart of Rotella, then stick your nose in a bottle of Delo and smell the synthetic componentry.

I love that smell
20.gif

Currently using Delvac with good results. Also used Rotella and Delo in my bikes and can't tell a difference. All three have proven themselves in the trucking industry.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
The old Delo had 220 ppm of moly, the new Delo 400 LE does not. There's no moly issue at all with this oil other than better shift than Rotella. $2.87 per quart at walmart makes it a steal if you want a 15w40.

No more moly, eh? Not that a couple hundred ppm would make much difference anyway. I just remember looking at the Delo and some of the Havoline offerings and seeing moly. Even the M1 motorcycle stuff has roughly 100 ppm moly.

Never tried the Delo. Probably because it's never on sale and also because I don't see it much around here.

I got this Delvac for less than five bucks a gallon, tax included - so you know that it's the very best oil. hehehehehe.....

Last edited:
As far as inexpensive oil, the Delo 400 is a Great choice. Ive done 4 or 5 oil changes with it, and Its a very usable oil.

My VFR has over 80,000 mile on original clutch

when i tested Delo 400 LE, the uoa from the stoners showed Moly at 65.

the stoners also showed Moly of 41 in my uoa test of Mobil Delvac 1300.

Molybdenum at 65 is insignificant. Honda uses much higher than that in factory fill and no problem with wet clutch. To me Delo-Delvac-Rotella all the same for all intents and purposes. All work fine. If you can distinguish a difference, I applaud you for being much more sensitive to oil feel than I am. I can put any oil in any bike and they all feel same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back