Grease for Ways?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At work we have a very old Bridgeport series 1 milling machine. It uses grease to lube the ways. Ways on these mills are usually lubed by an ISO 68 way oil, but that is only the newer machines with centralized oilers. I'm thinking an NGLI #1 grease. it needs to be a fairly "slick" since it is run by hand any resistance is noticable. I don't think it requires EP additives. the sliding surfaces are low speed and they operate at room tempature. no coolant is used so contamination is not a concern.

What grease would you recommend?

I think that Schaeffers #221, 00 ,Al complex would do the job for you,,,presuming its a Horizonal mill,,one important factor is take apart the wipers and clean them in mild solvent,re-install to proper depths,check trueness,bleed old lube from zerk lines ,and worms,, electrical contact cleaner works great to fine clean also prior to lubricant apply...BL

you could use the #274 in the 00 wt,,the 221 (800) maybe a tad thicker in a higher temps,by slight,, the 221 is gray/black and the 274 to be tan/kaki,cleaner to work with,,both are great,for this app..(sorry I forgot about the #274 duh )...BL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back