Schaeffers 238 for wheel bearings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been furiously looking for Cchaeffers grease for boat trailer wheel bearings(also for utility trailer wb's bearings on deck of my JD mower) Have found a source for Schaeffers 238 . Will this be OK for these uses

I totaly agree the 274#2 or the 800/221#2 would be fine choices with excellent results,how ever make sure the bearings are removed cleaned in a good solvent,clean and inspected for wear and properly packed....BL

238 is too sticky for those smaller, higher speed bearings. It'd be OK for big truck bearings. It can't flow into smaller bearings as the correct grease must.

Ken

#238 was developed for very high temperature applications with a very high tack level.

#274 or #221 in #2 thickness would be my choices as well.

I still use #274 in our portable (mobile) heavy duty wood splitters.

238 is not a high temp grease (350f) vs. bentone or silica base (600 to 1200f) and has no higher temp range than does 221 0r 274. Our 238 has extra tackifier, extra solid lubricants. It alos has 5% moly vs. 3% Moly in the 221.
Ken2
quote:

238 is too sticky for those smaller, higher speed bearings. It'd be OK for big truck bearings. It can't flow into smaller bearings as the correct grease must.

This is correct. Additionnally the solid lubricants.

[ January 27, 2005, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: salesrep ]

Guys, I have 221 and 238 in front of me. It sure seems that the 221 is slightly tackier then the 238! Either way, I don't see a problem with using 238 for wheel bearing applications, it's slighty tacky, nothing to be concerned about.
Just my opinion based on a hands on evaluation,
The Schaeffer's Salesrep can chime in on this.

Tony

[ January 30, 2005, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: s.t.a.r. ]

238 has more tackifier than does 221. As stated 238 has larger particles than 221. In most cases 238 will work in wheel bearings, however there is a risk due to the afor mentioned factors. I recommend 221,229 or 274 as more of a multi-purpose and wheel bearing grease. The 238 for heavier applications.

Sales Rep is correct. the application dictates the answer,,,,,,,, personally my truck has the 229 # 2 in front bearings and Mystic JT-8 semi in drive lines and steering knuckles....to make a point both are good choices ,though the 274#2 would be a wee bit better,if I would do it over in cold climant,by the way last brake job I took apart front,, looked and put back,, used same grease,still LOOKED same..no wear ,the 229 doing its job.BL

I was told the #238 was more for roller bearings in steel mills and for mining equipment, since it has a lot of graphite and Teflon.

I grease my ball joints twice a year...spring with 238 and in the fall with 231....now I'm mixing greases
gr_eek2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Greaser:
I grease my ball joints twice a year...spring with 238 and in the fall with 231....now I'm mixing greases
gr_eek2.gif

HELLO!!! That's your username,ain't it?
wink.gif

BTW: Sha Na Na rocked!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
I was told the #238 was more for roller bearings in steel mills and for mining equipment, since it has a lot of graphite and Teflon.

I think 238 is especially well suited for slow moving, heavily loaded pins & bushings in heavy machinery. It meets Cat's 5% moly requirement.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back