Wix vs. Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed that some filters tout better filtering but also have noticed that oil pressure seems lower. Could this mean that they are more restrictive which is bad for your engine? I have noticed this mostly on my classic cars.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I have noticed that some filters tout better filtering but also have noticed that oil pressure seems lower. Could this mean that they are more restrictive which is bad for your engine? I have noticed this mostly on my classic cars.

The only time you should (theoretically) see a lower oil pressure condition is if the oil pump is in pressure relief mode. When the oil pump is not in relief, then all the oil coming out of the pump must go through the filter and engine. Or, if for some reason the oil pressure sensor is before the oil filter, then you will see differences in oil pressure based on the filter's restrictiveness.

You have to be careful when comparing oil pressure readings with different filters. You have to take the data with the same oil, at the same exact oil temperature and engine RPM in order to get good comparison data. I've done this on my car (has built-in oil temp gauge) with different filters, and they all give the same oil pressure readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back