Squeak Relief Caliper Grease by LUBEGARD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like to use products that contain silicone around rubber parts. I prefer high temperature resistant Plastilube, which is copper and acid-free and doesn't wash off. It's suitable for lubricating brake parts, and has anti-squeal properties. If you can't get it in an economical tube, BMW dealers sell small quantities of Plastilube (Bremsklotzpaste) for a couple bucks. The part number is 81229407103.

I use caliper lube: Sil-glyde is one of them, the other one is made by Permatex and both are exceptionally suitable for use in rubber/plastic brake components.

Both of them works wonders.

On the other hand: I would not recommend the use of silicone dielectric grease for they do not have the temperature range (liquifies quickly and lack of lubricity on high pressure brake parts) nor proper characteristics to get the job done.

Moribundman, why the aversion to silicone on rubber parts? Silicone is one of the most inert lubricants one can use on rubber. Plus silicone won't wash out... it is resistant to all common solvents. The only way to remove it is to wipe it off.

I agree with Tom Slick. This looks like a premium product for caliper slides. Though I wouldn't use it for electrical connections as I use the regular silicone lube.

Kestas, it may well be that there is silicone grease that does not damage rubber. I have however, in the past had silicone products damage rubber gaskets, so I'm careful with it. As for the brake grease, Plastilube works fine for me. It's even sold under the ATE label, and ATE know brakes pretty well.

Sil-Gylde is available at your NAPA dealer and maybe other auto parts stores. It will not swell or damage any rubber parts, brakes, power steering, vacuum boosters, etc.

Thanks guys. I do like the look of this brake grease.

Moribundman, I have also used, and believe in, Plastilube. In fact, BMW Techs swear by the stuff for preventing squeal and chatter. The use of a very high temp anti-seize is the preferred method on Bimmer pad pins and pad backs. I miss my E36 dearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back