Overall grease for my joints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, first off this is my first post!
1999 Toyota Tacoma, TRD, V6, Ext Cab, 4X4, Auto,82,000 miles, oil/filter change every 3,000 miles from day 1.
I absolutely love this truck and decided to feed it right. The following is what I have decided on relative to it's grease diet. If you have concerns about my choice or any comments please feel free to advise or correct me.
For the universals, slip joints, whatever, I intended to use Ams Oil Synthetic Heavy Duty GHD grease.
I am wide open to "experienced" replys
What do you think?
Lola

Guys I forgot to add, that I intend to grease joints about every 10,000 miles unless you have a real reason that convinces be other wise.
Don't be shy just tell me what you think! I have read a lot on this site before asking, and there seems a lot of people really like the "Schaeffer" grease products.
I haven't made an order yet, I wanted to get input before deciding on a schedule to follow.
Lola

Ya I suspect Amsoil would as good as anything else and better than most. Just make sure you put enough new grease to flush out any old stuff that has dirt in it.

IF I remember, try the water test. If it is lith based, you'll find out real quick and it wont hold except in dry weather. Once it gets wet it'll be like any other soap and melt alway and not have any oil in it, no mater synth of otherwise. If it is water proof then what I'm saying has nothing to do with it but I belive it is water resistant but not water proof which means as long as you don't mix the grease with water it is resistant but as most all bearings do, it'll mix the water and grease and if it is lith, you;ll have soap instead of lith conplex and you'll see that bearings and water don't mix.

I'm sold on Schaeffer's aluminum based grease. I love the 238 in my backhoe joints. Although that Amsoil Series 2000 grease does front end steering parts real well. It seems to stay in place for a long while but you'll need to take out a second mortgage in order to pay for a tube.

quote:

Originally posted by Lola:
Guys I forgot to add, that I intend to grease joints about every 10,000 miles unless you have a real reason that convinces be other wise.
Don't be shy just tell me what you think! I have read a lot on this site before asking, and there seems a lot of people really like the "Schaeffer" grease products.
I haven't made an order yet, I wanted to get input before deciding on a schedule to follow.
Lola

If I'm not mistaken the service intervals on the slip joints and u-joints are 30,000 miles. Given that Toyoyta is usually conservative, I doubt you'd need to do it more often unless you spend a lot of time off road, in water, etc.

I think they call for a moly fortified EP grease for the slip joints. I've been using the Valvoline Synpower grease with moly on everything and so far I've had good luck with it...

Snoboy & Bobstheoilguy, the Ams Oil grease is outrageous in price, where can I get the Schaeffer's product?
Bob, I literally don't have the slightest clue as to what you said! I need answers to my questions/schedule/manufacture as to what to use.
Is the Schaeffer grease considered the equal of the Ams Oil product?
Lola

NO I DONT THINK THE AMSOIL GREASE IS WHAT SCHAEFFERS GREASE IS AS AMSOIL IS LITH COMPLEX AND WILL WASH OUT.

LITH COMPLEX IS NOTHING MORE THAN SOAP. TO KNOW IF IT IS OR NOT JUST PUT A BIG DAB IN PALM OF YOUR HAND AND MIX WATER WITH IT. IF IT BREAKS DOWN(WITH LITH COMPLEX IT WILL) THEN YOU HAVE LITH COMPLEX. THE MOLY TYPE OF GREASE WILL HOLD YOU A BIT LONGER BUT IF LITH IT TOO WILL BREAK DOWN ALSO. IF ALUM COMPLEX THE IT WILL NOT. I THINK RP PUTS OUT ALUM BUT I KNOW SCHAEFFERS DOES. YOU CAN GET ONE AND TWO FROM SCHAEFFERS REP ONLINE.

Sorry Bob, I didn't mean to get your "Blood Pressure" up!! I am not as informed as you, as to what to use, THEREFORE THE QUESTIONS. I do appreciate the input, just not the "HOLLERING".
Lola

Bob is correct to a T, I would use Schaeffers 274 in your application,or 229 red grease,, all in number 2 , they make a great product,,BL

First off I would like to apologies to Bob for being sarcastic! I am not usually that way, just having a bad day!
Bob has convinced me, among others. I will try to find some Shaffer's.
Brian fix or anyone, is there anything wrong with using Shaffer's #238 in my truck? Schaeffer's says it is there best grease?
Lola

I use Schaeffer's #221 in just about everything, farm equipment, vehicles etc. The #238 might be a bit thick for winter use up here. I believe it was a little cheaper also.

quote:

Originally posted by Lola:
Snoboy & Bobstheoilguy, the Ams Oil grease is outrageous in price, Lola

I don't get what is so outrageous?

These are the retail prices.

$3.80 a tube for General purpose Amsoil #2
$4.20 a tube for HD with moly Amsoil #2

Series 2000 grease about 2.5 times the price of the others.

I use to use both the moly and without moly from amsoil in my 92 toy 4x4 but I decided to switch to just the series 2000 for everything so I wouldn't have to have 2 guns loaded with grease hanging around for so long. It takes forever to go through 2 guns worth of Amsoil and I lube at 15k.

Here is a helpful hint. Keep the pressure off the grease in the gun while it is in storage or the grease will bleed out on you.

This implication that anything that is lithium based washes away "instantly" is old and ridiculous.

You could examine this:

http://www.amsoil.com/products/gwr.html

Or if you want an Al complex grease:

http://www.amsoil.com/products/gxc.html

But really at under $4 tube, outrageous it is
wink.gif

Like i said in the beginning, this is new to me. I think grease over $4.00 per tube is outrageous.
My intention is to have "one gun" set up to grease the Tacoma with "one" grease.
I would really like to try both Shaeffer's and Royal Purple Ultra-Performance then I can make up my own mind.
However, Schaeffer's has several grease classes and very little information on there web site to determine what is best. I could "not" find an email address to the company so I am asking you guys questions that the company should be answering! Lets face it, there is no way that the average user can determine what is best for his situation, the company should intervene and help!
Sorry but that is how I feel and I can't imagine someone not understanding. The company should have 1000's of hours of experience/information that could help us all make determinations, how do we get it?
Lola

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back