Grease to Seal Air Intake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was dust in the air cleaner housing and intake tube of my 2001 Silverado last time I had it apart. I'm considering using grease to seal the filter and hose connections, but am not sure what kind to use. The choices on hand are white lithium grease and dielectric silicone grease.

I'm hesitant to use the silicone grease because of the non-"sensor-safe" silicone gasket sealants that can cause problems with computer controlled engines. (Are those problems caused by chemicals other than the actual silicone?) If I used the white grease, on the other hand, would it degrade the rubber hoses and air cleaner seal?

Thanks, anyone, for your help.

Have you thought about trying a different brand air filter. Not all brands seal the same from my experience.

I always used regular wheel bearing grease to seal the foam filters to the airbox on my dirtbikes and never had a problem. You don't need very much, but I would stay away from Silicon grease just to be safe with the sensors.

why not line the mating surface with a thin (but thick "enough") foam tape as a gasket? just a thought.

no air filter greasi af for catching debris

use one of those tubes
with the thick grease like for chassis joints. The same **** you would put in a grease gun and shoot in the ball joints on a big ol truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back