Impact wrench lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an impact wrench and i thought you were supposed to lubricate them. It didnt come with any oil and im not sure where you put it. Instructions dont mention it.

Do i need to do anything to it or not and if so where do i put the lube and what kind should i use?

No instructions on lubing it? Strange. Is it a cheapie? If there is no lube port, the just put the lube in the opening for the air. Turn it by hand and add some more....

I like the PBBlaster brand of Air Tool Lube the best. I've used the Sentrol stuff and even synthetic ATF with no issues (but I supposed ATF may not be a bright idea, my tools have lots of time on them)

I've heard not to use WD-40, but frankly I wasn't tempted. I do use WD-40 for cleaning stuff, but not as a serious lubricant.

when i worked in the factory, the air tools had inline oilers, feeding oil thru the air intake. Part of a "trio", a combo filter, dryer and oiler for each workstation.

WD40 is not a great lube, don;t use it on air tools.

As for your gun, put the oil where the air hose attachs. There is a thin grease that goes in the side of the gun, might be a hex screw to remove to add.

I have used Mobil1 Syn Gear oil as well as the cheap stuff just fine.

Its an older craftsman model that didnt sell at its original 200$ so i got it for 40. I think its a good one. I havent messed with it much. So motor oil will work and how often should i do it?

Actually I don't think motor oil is a very good idea. You want a lube with very low/no ash and motor oil maybe a bit to high viscosity. ATF will work as I mentioned, but use a synthetic one, like M1. Or just buy the Walmart air tool lube as mentioned.

Thanks for the help, i found the instructions and it said to use an inline filter and keep it oiled with air tool oil. Ill see what i can get ahold of, thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by GarrettSocling:
so the oil that goes in the air port and the grease that goes in the side through the hex stopper are two different lubricants?

yes. The oil in the air lubes the motor. The grease on the gears lubes, well... the gears; these are (evidently) in this particular tool not in the airstream.

Many tools (the ones in my experience at least) used the same oil; as all parts were all in the airstream and therefore the "oilstream". I can see that many tools, especially heavier ones would have separate sections, hence separate lubes.

I know this sounds strange,but some mechs I know use Mobil-1,5w30 thined slightly with Marvil mystery oil? they get long lived use out of the tools used....infact very good........ BL

I have used Marvel Mystery Oil and also Kroil. I tried the Kroil I think because of reports they published in their literature.

Now, I broke down and picked up a small bottle of Campbell-Hausfeld branded "air tool oil." I got it either at Autozone, WalMart, or Sears Hardware.

As much as I use, it will last a long time for me.

Checked the lubing directions on a cheap 1/2" impact and a good quality 1/2" impact. Both have a small hex screw on the side to add 30 wt. oil to the clutch.About 2/3 oz. checked monthly. You also need to add a 10 wt. oil( like Mobil Almo 525 air tool oil) to the air inlet on the tool every time you use it. About 2 drops if you do not have an auto oiler setup.And a couple of drops when you are done.
Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back