how to use dialectric grease on plug wires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do i use dielectric grease on plug wires on my car. Do i put it just on the rubber in the boot or on the metal contact as well. I believe i have some arcing and would like to stop it. I did my own plugs and wires and didnt use this stuff.

Should i use it on both ends or just the plug end?

The dielectric grease helps stop the plug wire boot from adhering to the porcelain of the plug to aid in removal the next time you change plugs and will also aid in insulating the ignition. I assume that you mean your old ignition wires were arching and if so there must have been a leak in the insulation somewhere in the wire. You don't need to put any grease on the plug tip only on the rubber boot, and you really only need to do the plug end.

I use dielectric grease on eletrical connections on my dumptruck. It does not hurt a bit to put it on the metal contacts as well as any rubber or plastic boots. Been doing it for years.

Good advice above. The dielectric (silicone) grease is to ease boot removal for next plug change.

But don't expect it to cure any arcing problem you may have. Only replacement of the ignition wires will cure that. To verify if you have arcing, lift the hood in the dark (at night) with the engine idling. Mist some water over the ignition wires with a spray bottle. The water will enhance any arcing. If you see any arcing, replace the ignition wires, and place some silicone grease inside each boot on each end.

If the arcing left carbon tracking on the sparkplug insulator or the distributor cap/coil pack insulators, those should be replaced as well.

Otherwise, they'll continue to arc, and damage the new spark plug wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back