New Snow Tires...Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Four new Mcraft Glacier Grip tires from Town Fair Tire. They list the price on invoice for 103, my price was 80. Does that sound right? Is that a decent winter tire?

They said they would mach any Internet price, but I am not exactly sure if I am comparing apples to apples.

Also, they talked me into an 4 wheel alignment. I can't remember the last time it was aligned, was it the right move to go with 4 vs. a 2 wheel alignment?

Sounds reasonable - does that price include mounting and balancing? What kind of car are they going on? Assuming it has adjustments for the rear alignment, the 4 wheel alignment is probably a good idea if you don't know when (if ever) it was done.

02 Grand Caravan.

Yeah, included mounting/balancing/free flat repair/free rotation, lifetime snow tire changeover, 90 day road hazzard.

Even cheap winter tires annihilate good all-seasons. Never heard of it but I'm sure it will be sufficient. Price sounds good too.

May as well get an alignment on all 4 wheels...never understood why anyone would get just 2 done.

People get 2 done because they are stuck in a time when many cars had a solid rear axle and didn't have alignment issues in the back. 2 of my older cars are like this. New Mustangs are still built this way and do not need four wheel alignments.

OP: if you can't remember getting an alignment then you did the right thing so that you don't rip up your new snow tires!

Last edited:
Ice rated snow tires are great. You only have to drive on ice one time and the trouble they protect you from pays for them several times over. However Ice rated snow tires are made with a soft rubber. You realy want the vehicle to be well aligned or you will wear them out fast. Also, to get several years out of them it is best to put them on late and take them off early, so you never run them on warm days. If you let them on for the summer they will be gone before next winter.

I see lots of those around me. Usually on larger cars and minivans. They seem like a decent snow tire.

Ditto what others said about a cheap snow killing an all-season in the white stuff and on ice.

They're made by Cooper. They look similar to the Weathermaster S/T2 I have that are on their seventh season. There are winter tires with considerably better wet and ice traction, but they've been good overall. They have good tread life, decent dry handling, and, of course, good snow traction. They're also fairly quiet for a winter tire.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Ice rated snow tires are great. You only have to drive on ice one time and the trouble they protect you from pays for them several times over. However Ice rated snow tires are made with a soft rubber. . .

What is this ice rating you speak of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back