Lithium grease question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad retired from his dozer/backhoe business last year.He had always used Chevron brand lubricants for his machines.Anyway,he gave me a tube of Quaker State FCI (fleet,commercial,industrial) grease.It is a multi purpose lithium EP-2 grease.Is this a good grease? I was thinking of using it on my suspension parts and u-joints.Any opinions?
patriot.gif

EP fortified grease is good quality. Some of the synthetic greases have multiple uses, for instance 2 & 2EP, GC, LB, which make them suitable for both wheel bearings and chassis lubricant performance

depending on the application,this Q-state is a ok grease for chassis or light duty,,a real good all around grease is Mystic semi sythetic,or Shaeffers #274 BL

Anyone use lithium to grease their struts?

The label on my tube I bought from Canadian tires has a picture of lubing the struts..

Lithium is a metal, not a grease.

Grease is made of three major ingredients...thickener, oil, and additives. Lithium stearate or lithium complex base are the most common...work well and cheap & easy to make. The oil in them can be either petro or syn. The additives can be dyes, teflon (good in grease), moly, tackifiers, extreme pressure additives, etc.

So...the Quaker State lithium base grease, NLGI #2 consistency (most common), extreme pressure additives, would be a good all around grease.

Ken

I have to agree with Brain the Mystik grease is a great one. I never used there semi synthetic but have used the JT-6 mutli-purpose high temp and that product put Mobil 1 full synthetic to shame in heavy duty construction equipment.You should be able to find this in Fla.It is worth taking a little time to look for.

Which version did you get?:

FCI Multi-Duty High Temp Grease
FCI Moly-Graphite EP 2 1/2 Grease
FCI Poly-Moly Lithium EP 2 Grease
FCI Multi-Purpose Lithium EP 2 Grease

quote:

Originally posted by 68redlines73:
Which version did you get?:

FCI Multi-Duty High Temp Grease
FCI Moly-Graphite EP 2 1/2 Grease
FCI Poly-Moly Lithium EP 2 Grease
FCI Multi-Purpose Lithium EP 2 Grease

The FCI Multi-Purpose Lithium EP 2 Grease.BTW,the grease that was in the new u-joints looks exactly like the Quaker State grease i'm posting about.

MSDS for FCI Multi-Purpose Lithium EP 2 Grease actually indicates it is a lithium complex. You should be fine but to be absolutley sure, you can contact Pennzoil-Quaker State (and don't forget to consider compatibility).

lith is a soap and will wash out as soon as it hits water. dont belive me, just put water on it in the palm of your hand and watch it turn milky and thin out.

the moly will wash out with the lith. the cal complex might be water proof but it will not be compatilble with the current lith where as the alum complex by shaeffers will be compatilble with lith and will be water proof. I dont know any more about other alum complexs. If you are to take any other complex, you'll need to completey wash out the old grease in order to replace with a different complex other than shaeffers alum or any lith complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back