Harbor Freight 3050W/3500W Genset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone got any opinions on this Harbor Freight 7HP 3050W/3500W(peak) generator? If the engine is a Chonda (which is my assumption) is it one made by one of the more reputable Chinese firms (ideally one that OEMs to Honda)? I have a relative that lives some distance away that has one and has used it and has had good luck with it, but I've not be able to look at it in person and fire it up.

Thanks,

Scott

I do believe those engines are honda clones made by Lifan. I'm not 100% sure though, im only basing this on the fact that their standalone engines they sell are Lifan.

19 reviews on the website and they all seem good, 4.5 stars overall. If you have a tractor supply close they are running a sale on the champion 3500 watt for $279. $299 regular. So even not on sale it's cheaper than the HF $339. Champion has a pretty proven record for being reliable too.

I have the 2200W/2300W peak with 5.5hp engine. It is a Jiangdong JF168.

Other than having a small metal chip under the needle valve causing it to leak gas, this generator has been a real champ
smile.gif

If I'm not mistaken most of their generators are made by Jiangdong.

Last edited:
Sounds look you had good luck with that unit. So, whats the general opinion of Jiangdong as an engine maker? From what I've been reading the best Chonda engine markers are the ones that are or have in the past OEMed engines to Honda. Makes sense. I'm sure that when Honda cuts an OEM deal with one of these Chinese engine makers they send their engineers and production people over to look at the plant, make sure they've got the right equipment and to instruct them in the ways of Quality Control-Fu :)

Any so-called "Chonda" are literally inferior clones of the original Honda designs, which Honda has little no means of legally pursue them, unfortunately.

Also: because it's an imitation, don't expect the same quality/reliability like the real mcCoy: e.g. Subaru-Robin, Kawasaki or Honda single engines. Afterall, imitation always come at a price and that price point oftentimes is reflective of how durable/reliable the motor is.

Afterall: you get what you paid for.

Q.

The fact that the engine is a clone has no bearing on whether it is inferior. Many Japanese products where clones of other makes and most were superior to the original

"The fact that the engine is a clone has no bearing on whether it is inferior."

Well, that's true but there is little doubt it will be. On the other hand, a 7hp Honda generator is over a grand, and we're talking 2 or 3 hundred bucks.

I have the 3050W Harbor Freight genset. It has not given me any problems, and I have worked it hard.

The only potential issue is some of the rubber parts. The crank-case ventilation hose between the valve cover and air cleaner is showing signs of drying out and cracking. The same problem for the rubber conduit between the generator head and outlet box.

My genset is based on the 6.5hp engine, and the 3500W rating is too high. Max load is 3000W before overloading the engine. The newer model is based on a 208cc - 7hp engine, which should handle the load better.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Any so-called "Chonda" are literally inferior clones of the original Honda designs, which Honda has little no means of legally pursue them, unfortunately.

why would they? Honda licensed designs for just about everything they built in the 70's and 80's to various chinese firms. looks the same, but not quite...

anyways, real good lo-tech gensets just aint made anymore.

wisconsin (the birth of power products, literally and figuratively) is a ghost town.

You want an excellent genset - honda or yammy inverter models, 1K, 2K or 3kw version

'honeywell' (now a ficticious company not associated at all with honeywell of old) and a few other makers put out chinese versions of inverter gensets for half the price, but they dont last more than 40-50 hours.

the old tech gensets can be had for sub $500, but the engines sound like you are sitting next to a b25, they weight a ton, suck gas, and are just cheap, non-repairable junk.

Unfortunately, tecumseh & lawson power are no longer making anything in the USA and has sourced the motors overseas (right now I am replacing a 7hp tec snow king snow blower motor with a 'storm king' 6.5hp built by the peoples republic. its simple a licensed clone of the tec OHV from 5 years ago. my fingers are crossed, but I only paid $259 from amazon.)

I miss the old craftsmans - a rebadged generac - I have a 1400w w/3hp briggs that I use for temp power when I boondock the rv - I have had this since 1989 and have a couple hundred hours on it. heavy, not too noisy low tech that wont break.

Ten years ago, I would have had reservations about buying a Chonda. However, not anymore. I own a couple Chinese clone engines and I'm thoroughly impressed with them.

I cannot attest to their long term durability. I've had one for six years on a pressure washer and it's still as good as the day I bought it. However, life on a pressure washer isn't the same as life on a generator.

I have had many years experience with small engines in numerous applications from motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles, marine and OPE, two cycle and four. The last Chonda engine I bought is on a Champion 4000/3000 watt generator. From appearance and performance it's a little gem. Only time will tell how durable it will be. However, an engine that runs as smoothly and quietly as this one does, leads me to believe that with reasonable maintenance, it should be durable.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
I have the 2200W/2300W peak with 5.5hp engine. It is a Jiangdong JF168.

If I'm not mistaken most of their generators are made by Jiangdong.

I would tend to think that also. If fact, I've never seen a Lifan engine other than ~90-300cc? ATV engines. They do a fine job with them for sure.

I also have a ~3500 watt portable gen in the family that was an eBay purchase about 5yrs ago. It has a Jiangdong (or is it Jiang Dong?). The unit has only been used for test runs, but it lights right off after sitting a year at a time.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
If you choose the HF one, don't forget the 20% off coupons!!!!!

Yep! That's why I was looking at that one. That Tractor Supply unit also sounds very interesting so I'll probably go to TS after Christmas and have a look.

Originally Posted By: engineerscott
Sounds look you had good luck with that unit. So, whats the general opinion of Jiangdong as an engine maker? From what I've been reading the best Chonda engine markers are the ones that are or have in the past OEMed engines to Honda. Makes sense. I'm sure that when Honda cuts an OEM deal with one of these Chinese engine makers they send their engineers and production people over to look at the plant, make sure they've got the right equipment and to instruct them in the ways of Quality Control-Fu :)

Jiangdong is also known for their small diesel tractors. The main brand name is Jinma, with a few other rebadged units under different brand names. Generally in the 20-40hp range and are more basic and use beefier components compared to others in their class like TYM (S. Korea).

Their tractors are considered a great bang for the buck and have their own forum. They, like the HF generator I bought, have good overall build quality of major components.

It is the quality control of small/delicate components that seems to be hit and miss.

I just got back from looking at gensets @ HF.
5.5 HP 3050/3500 watt $450
7 HP 2200/3500 watt $450 / On sale $300
I earlier looked at the small 2-cycle but passed.

Looking at a spring deck building project this spring. Talking to the folks at HF, none of them could tell me much about the gensets.
When I redo the back deck, it's at the back corner of the property and the neighbor back over the fence is close, so constant generator noise is a little concern.
The 5.5 HP has a muffler that's almost like a small automotive style, while the 7 HP isn't automotive style and looks smaller than the 5.5 I can always do a add-on I guess for lower dB, but the HF folks couldn't find the dB rating of either genset.

I'm tossed between the 5.5 & 7 HP models. If I go for the 7 HP model, I know sooner or later they may have a sale price making the two competitive, but the 5.5 is on sale right now (today anyway).

5.5 rated 11.8 hours @ 50% load (about a 4 gallon tank)
7 HP rated 9 hours @ 50 load (about a 4 gallon tank)

Such a toss right now - 5.5 HP for $300 or wait for the 7 HP to go on sale. I'm getting close to taking a chance on a Clonda genset. Oh, I'll do very short OCIs for break-in then will probably settle for something like M1 synthetic or Rotella.

(add) I think both had a "Lifan" sticker on them

Last edited:
As someone else suggested, if you have a Tractor Supply in your area, I'd seriously look at their 6.5Hp, 3500W (4000W peak) Champion generator. Look here:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/gas-d...nerator-4434023

That one has recently been on sale for $279 (now $299). And, if you sign-up on their website they will periodically send you discount coupons to your email. I got a 15% off coupon for anything bought online. The trick is, if you have a store in driving distance they will ship your online purchase to your local store for free where you can pick it up. Heck of a deal that way.

BTW, no matter what you get I would recommend changing out the Chinese made plug for the recommended NGK plug. The one consistent weakness I hear about the Chonda motors is the cheap no name plugs they install at the factory.

Humm... seems to me there is a Tractor Supply about a hour and a half from here. Might have to look around.

I hear also the first thing to do is change the plug for a quality one, like NGK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back