Generic WD-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read an old thread about the increased cost of WD-40. I haven't bought any in a while and was shocked how expensive it has gotten.

I used to get a version from Ace Hardware that was about 30% cheaper. Advanced Auto has a store brand lubricant that might be a knock off.

Who still sells generic WD-40?

Never heard of that. There are many multi-purpose light spray lubes out there, WD 40 being most popular in marketing circles only. I like JB 80 and Blaster and many others above WD 40. I see no point in buying WD 40.

I'd suggest -authentic- WD-40 may possibly be had at Tractor Supply in gallons if that is in line with your needs, and the price would also hopefully be attractive. But frankly, there are far better product offerings out there that would be superior replacements in comparison to either the original or a generic.

Heck, the Canucks supposedly luv Jig-a-Loo, which can probably still be had at Big Lots (if you have one) for about $2. I use it periodically to good effect.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Doesn't Wal-Mart still Sell their house brand (SuperTech) WD-40 type lubricant?
Yeah, but in smaller cans now IIRC.

Wd 40 is the very best, and cheap as well comparative when used as a coolant/lube etc etc when working with aluminum on a lathe, and I'm sure a mill etc... for some reason wd 40 is just the cats meow, beautiful finishes, gets rid of any ptoblems of the "sticky aluminum" as well...

I know I know, but so many bashing wd 40, I guess someone needs to take up for it in some way. Also it takes very little, and the cans work great as well combined with a brush... pour a bit out in a cup etc, and just brush on while working, as well the spray cans work good a quick shot and you have done the job, and have nice pretty bling bling aluminum when turning.

Originally Posted By: rclint
Wd 40 is the very best, and cheap as well comparative when used as a coolant/lube etc etc when working with aluminum on a lathe, and I'm sure a mill etc... for some reason wd 40 is just the cats meow, beautiful finishes, gets rid of any ptoblems of the "sticky aluminum" as well...

I know I know, but so many bashing wd 40, I guess someone needs to take up for it in some way. Also it takes very little, and the cans work great as well combined with a brush... pour a bit out in a cup etc, and just brush on while working, as well the spray cans work good a quick shot and you have done the job, and have nice pretty bling bling aluminum when turning.

just use MMO IMHO

Yeah, the price of WD-40 has gone up 2 or 3 X in the last few years.
Used to be able to buy a Gallon for $11.00 all day long. and the small aerosols were a couple dollars, or less.

The idea in our economy is that in about 5 more years EVERYTHING you used to know will cost DOUBLE what it did a few years ago. I'd say they've already got this concept 25% completed.

But on the generic... I don't know if some company can or has duplicated it. The #1 quality that may be hard to duplicate is WD-40's ability to prevent and protect from rust. There simply isn't a better oil that you can put on steel to protect it from rust.

Last edited:
Quote:
But on the generic... I don't know if some company can or has duplicated it. The #1 quality that may be hard to duplicate is WD-40's ability to prevent and protect from rust. There simply isn't a better oil that you can put on steel to protect it from rust.

I don't want to start a wd war, but I have extensively tested oils, waxes, etc for rust protection.. WD-40 falls way way way down towards the bottom of the list.. I will say Wd-40 is/can be a good clean in certain situations, however it can also leave behind an undesirable residue which is like sludge LOL called gum before I knew about sludge

It is the film it leaves behind that you mentioned that makes it outperform ALL other commonly available aerosol spray oils in the rust prevention department. WD-40 is simply unbeatable in this respect. What have you found that will outperform WD-40 for rust prevention?

Last edited:
As for outperforming wd-40 in rust protection

First cheap wax if it's applicable, EEzox is the best bar none, corrosion-X the list goes on, and on, and on.

WD-40 leaves behind a film in areas where it can not "gas off" or evaporate easily (in tubes etc) however in the open it does not hold up. I don't mean to come in going to war with you over this subject, you can do a google search on rust prevention adding some lines oils/product test they have some very in depth test doing this...

The question was what aerosol spray OIL is the best at rust protection. WD-40 is unbeatable. The LPS is a WAX.

Originally Posted By: j_mac
It is the film it leaves behind that you mentioned that makes it outperform ALL other commonly available aerosol spray oils in the rust prevention department. WD-40 is simply unbeatable in this respect. What have you found that will outperform WD-40 for rust prevention?

I've been using FLUID FILM.
It seems great and some people use it to actually rust proof cars with.

Originally Posted By: j_mac
The question was what aerosol spray OIL is the best at rust protection. WD-40 is unbeatable. The LPS is a WAX.

I'd put Corrosion X up against it any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back