Grease for Coilover PillowBall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a D2 coilover setup which has pillowwball mounts. It came unlubricated and without a recommendation for the lubricant. I purchased a tube of CV joint grease (3% moly, lithium 12-hydroxy stearate base) but am having misgivings about the suitability.

The car weigh about 2700# and the weight distribution is about 60/40 F/R. So each front mount is supporting about 810# and each rear 540#. The front springs are about 400#/in. and the rears 325#/in. So at full compression (~4") there is an additional 1600# on the fronts and 1300# on the rears.

The motion of the front pillowball mount is twisting when the wheels are steered left/right and sliding when the suspension compresses/expands. It also takes all the road shock. The rears just have the sliding motion.

The mounts are pretty well shielded from contact with water.

I looked at the "Classification of Grease by NLGI Grade", and can't decide what is best. The spec is in terms of rotation speed, which is difficult to estimate for the mounts.

Lew

I would assume that a grease that is good enough for a ball joint, which may see more pressure and movement than a pillowball coilover mount, would be suitible. But then again i do not know much about greases yet, I should start to read up on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back