Amsoil Syn H20 Resistant Lithium complex good choice for wet bearings (PWC Trailr)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello,

I ordered my HP Injector this summer and I had a membership, I could resist ordering some more stuff. I picked up a grease which I thought sounded like the BEST possible grease on the market for marine trailer bearing. It is a PWC trailer and I am in fresh water.

The grease is Special Formula Synthetic Water Resistant Grease, Lithium Complex

2-GC-LB is the rating

Contains organic zinc.

Thanks for any info,
Seth

I have used Mobil Synthetic, Schaeffer's 238, Amsoil Synthetic and Royal Purple in 3 boat trailers and Travel Trailer, utility trailer and large commercial power washer trailer.

A couple years ago I pulled my pontoon boat for 128 miles through the hills of Arkansas. I had just changed the bearing grease to Schaeffer's 238. When I got to the lake the bearing buddy on one of the hubs had fallen off. The exposed outer bearing was still completely covered with grease. I had gone through rain and no water in the hub. Very water proof grease, or better yet excellent.

I was pulling my utility trailer through Oklahoma at 70+ mph. I lost a bearing buddy on one wheel. The grease was Amsoil. The grease had almost totally flung out, very little tackiness. Also in the misty rain. No water, but not as impressive as the Schaeffer's.

I did a hand rub test on greases and water. I personally found the following:

Schaeffer's 238 and Royal Purple NLGI-2=The Best, no big difference. I do now use the Royal Purple exclusively.

Amsoil and Mobil=A step below the other two. Both these greases tend to get creamy smooth when hot and not as water resistant when hot.

These are my opinions on greases. Please take all this as one person's opinion only, but these are my experiences with greases and water.

I cured the losing Bearing Buddy problems, now when I remove them for any reason, I take a punch and very carefully score a couple dimples on the extreme outer race. No more lost Bearing Buddys. The guy at the boat dealership gave me this tip after I kept buying so many.

cheers.gif

hmmmm thanks guys. Good thing this Amsoil grease wasn't very expensive. I've still got two tubes of Supertech marine and this amsoil. I usually use the Supertech for greasing my control arms on my Jeep since they take so much grease and get it often.

I guess i'm going to have to definately get some of RP or Schaeffer's, sounds like it is definately better.

Thanks for the help.

Seth, I’ve used it before on my Boat trailer and it works pretty well. In my opinion, the Schaeffer 221 Moly Ultra 800 EP works considerably better. With it’s aluminum complex verses Amsoil lithium complex, it provided me with better washout protection.

There is nothing wrong with Amsoil grease. I will not doubt that in general an aluminum complex grease will be less water soluble than a lithium base grease.

Creamy smooth is a good thing IMHO. I have been running Amsoil Series 2000 racing grease in my bearings for years and think it's the best automotive grease out there.

I checked on the technical sheets of the 3 greases in question and found the following.
Amsoil, 221, 238
ASTM D-1264 water washout 0.9%, 4.2%, 5.5%
ASTM D-4049 water spray off 6.9%, 22%, not listed

Even the Amsoil Heavy Duty with moly exhibited a good reading for water washout of 1.8% with no listing for spray off.

Paul,
Aluminum complex grease is indeed more water resistant than lithium complex grease. Any way you choose to churn water into grease will show you that. Amsoil grease is indeed very high quality.

I feel that Schaeffer #238 grease is too tacky for small antifriction bearings like pickup truck or trailer wheel bearings. It won't flow into the rollers the way they need. Schaeffer #221 or #274 is a better choice.

Ken

[ October 15, 2004, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back