ABS code C1234

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dealer pulled codes, said I need to replace the hub. Cost will be just under $800. I am not hearing any bearing roar, can the electronic pickup fail without actually failing the bearing or will it soon begin to fail too?

Also for the fronts on this car I replaced them using Timken replacements at 60,000 miles, now at 97,000 I am considering both SKF and Timken. How do these two compare? I like SKF in their larger bearings, we have used some on 1350 hp electric motors and they had much better performance than the F A G brand bearing the supplier tried first. But how do the hubs compare?

Car is Chevrolet Impala 2003 with ABS.

Thanks

Last edited:
I told the stealership, that is too much, and asked to have the car ready to pick up. They had done the broken wire fix a couple of months before on the front sensor so I thought it might be a warranty repair. I will probably do both sides on the rear soon, but just was wondering about others experience on the hub type wheel bearing failure, will it growl like regular bearings giving a few weeks notice gradually getting louder?

Thanks

Last edited:
That is way too much for a rear wheel bearing replacement, even using the $$$ dealer MSRP ($400?). For a '03 GA my sources show 0.7 hour for rear wheel hub replacement time per the GM service manual; this is estimate time not warranty work time.

Use either a Timken or SKF. It is important to get a wheel hub that is made in either the US or Canada because the market has been flooded with cheap made in China junk that will go bad in about a year if not already bad out of the box. Rockauto will sell a Timken shipped after %5 discount coupon that is cheaper than the cheapest Chinese made wheel hub at a local auto parts store.

I used Timken from RockAuto on the front hubs at 60,000, had been reading about the Timken SKF posts when I did my search prior to posting this question on the rear hubs. I thought the price seemed outrageous for this job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back