MMO...what are the benifits when using in fuel....

Status
Not open for further replies.
...over using Redline Sl-1, Techron or Regane? Does MMO do any thing more than than the above fuel system cleaners

The reason I'm asking is that about once a year I use one of the above FSC'ers, and then use Sl-1 as a maintainance dose (1.5 to 2 oz. per 10 to 13 gal.fill-up.

Will using MMO provide any additional benifits that my regular routine not provide. I'm comsidering using MMO.

Last edited:
36.gif

I will say this...You can use MMO and your maintenance dose of SL-1 at the same time. There are others here that do that. Some use TCW3 and MMO too. Personally I would think a regular dose of MMO in every fuel tank will give more benefit because there will be a larger quantity of MMO in the tank. But Red Line is a much stronger cleaner than MMO. I am also confident that 4 ounces of MMO to each 10 gallons of gas and your maintenance dose of Red Line together will provide better benefits than a maintenance dose of Red Line by itself.

This post has the potential to turn into one of those "Does MMO work and where is the scientific quantifiable proof" posts. I hope it doesn't go that way and you get some good useful info. You can use the search box and type in "MMO dose" or "MMO in every fuel fill" or something like that and you should find a lot more info on it.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
I will say this...You can use MMO and your maintenance dose of SL-1 at the same time. There are others here that do that. Some use TCW3 and MMO too. Personally I would think a regular dose of MMO in every fuel tank will give more benefit because there will be a larger quantity of MMO in the tank. But Red Line is a much stronger cleaner than MMO. I am also confident that 4 ounces of MMO to each 10 gallons of gas and your maintenance dose of Red Line together will provide better benefits than a maintenance dose of Red Line by itself.

This post has the potential to turn into one of those "Does MMO work and where is the scientific quantifiable proof" posts. I hope it doesn't go that way and you get some good useful info. You can use the search box and type in "MMO dose" or "MMO in every fuel fill" or something like that and you should find a lot more info on it.

Thanks for your informational reply Jimmy...I do hope it doesn't turn into 'quantifiable proof' posts either.

I guess to to clarify my question....does MMO do anything additional that Redline Sl-1 doesn't?

Would appreciate any additional comments from the many MMO people on this site.

Here's what the MMO people say it does, from their website:
"• Marvel Mystery Oil® lubricates the entire fuel system-fuel pumps, fuel injectors or carburetors and the top portion of the cylinders. These are areas, that by design, motor oil does not reach. Using Marvel Mystery Oil in your fuel extends the life of these vital components by providing them with lubrication that fuel alone does not provide.

• Marvel reduces and prevents varnish and gum build-up, two key contributors to robbing engine performance. When you shut off your engine, a miniscule drop of fuel is left at the tip of the fuel injectors or carburetor jets. This miniscule drop off of fuel then solidifies into a varnish type residue. Over time, the accumulated varnish blocks the openings of the injectors or jets, contributing to lower performance and fuel economy and shorter life of these components.

• Spark plug life is also extended by using Marvel in your fuel. It creates a cleaner burning cylinder environment that reduces carbon build-up on spark plugs resulting in better firing plugs that increase performance and durability.

• In addition, Marvel Mystery Oil® improves fuel mileage by reducing internal friction in the engine.

• Marvel should be used in the fuel at every fill-up. Use 4 ounces for every 10 gallons of fuel."

Hmm, it does just about everything, imageine that!
laugh.gif
If you don't want "quantifiable proof" this is all you've got to go on. Compare to claims for the other products you're interested in and see how much they overlap.

Note, legit testing and MMO themselve state that it is not suitable for use in the new low sulpher diesel fuel. It actually reduces the lubricity of that already low lubricity fuel.

jeff

All I have to go by are the websites describing each. One focuses more on cleaning, the other more on lubricating..
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
I guess to to clarify my question....does MMO do anything additional that Redline Sl-1 doesn't?

Would appreciate any additional comments from the many MMO people on this site.

I don't know if Red Line has the same properties for lubricating the fuel pump or the fuel injectors. Red Line is a good strong fuel system cleaner, it has a very high concentration of PEA, while MMO contains no PEA at all. Red Line is an excellent fuel cleaner and UCL, but the way I understand it is you have to use the whole bottle to get the maximum benefit. MMO is a very mild fuel system cleaner so it is not too harsh and you can use it at every fuel fill. It is a very good UCL and when you add it at every fuel fill, you are getting a constant and consistent amount of UCL properties in the combustion chambers.

The trick to MMO is to use a good cleaner like Red Line, Techron or Regane first. Run that tank down as far as you safely can and then dose the entire tank with the corresponding amount of MMO at the next fuel fill. You can start with the recommended dose of 4 ounces to every 10 gallons of fuel and see whether you have to adjust it. In winter especially, a little less is about right. Then add MMO in the corresponding amount to the amount of fuel you buy at each fill-up. The key with MMO is to use it consistently. It is not a magic bullet, it does not work overnight and you may have to use it in a few tanks before you notice any benefits from it.

Originally Posted By: webfors
All I have to go by are the websites describing each. One focuses more on cleaning, the other more on lubricating..
21.gif

I'm assuming they are compatable (both can be uses at the same time)...?

(4 oz. per 10 gal., and 1.5 to 2 oz. of Redline per fill up)

Jimmy9190 summed it up well. The RL product is a better cleaner than the MMO, MMO is a better UCL.

There are several different ways to use both products in your vehicle.

1. Use a good FI cleaner first, then use MMO at the rate of 4 ounces/10 gallons of gas. You can re-treat with FI cleaner, at every OCI, once/year, or any other combo that makes you happy. I was told by both companies the products can be used together, however each company would like to see their products used exclusively. The MMO people stated it is best to use a good FI cleaner first, if you suspect the injectors to be dirty. MMO will clean them however it will take a lot longer.

2. You can treat with a good FI cleaner and use MMO and only MMO w/o any further FI cleaners.

3. You can stack the two products w/o issuue.

4. You can also use the RL product full strength, then 1.5 ounces/10 gallons of gas at every fill up.

I find myself doing this: FI cleaner once a year in my E-150 and Jeep followed by MMO at every fill up. In my Aerostar FI cleaner at each OCI, TCW3 at each fill up. I've also done some stacking.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Jimmy9190 summed it up well. The RL product is a better cleaner than the MMO, MMO is a better UCL.

There are several different ways to use both products in your vehicle.

1. Use a good FI cleaner first, then use MMO at the rate of 4 ounces/10 gallons of gas. You can re-treat with FI cleaner, at every OCI, once/year, or any other combo that makes you happy. I was told by both companies the products can be used together, however each company would like to see their products used exclusively. The MMO people stated it is best to use a good FI cleaner first, if you suspect the injectors to be dirty. MMO will clean them however it will take a lot longer.

2. You can treat with a good FI cleaner and use MMO and only MMO w/o any further FI cleaners.

3. You can stack the two products w/o issuue.

4. You can also use the RL product full strength, then 1.5 ounces/10 gallons of gas at every fill up.

I find myself doing this: FI cleaner once a year in my E-150 and Jeep followed by MMO at every fill up. In my Aerostar FI cleaner at each OCI, TCW3 at each fill up. I've also done some stacking.

Thanks guys for all this info.

Since I used a FSC (full bottle of Regane) prior to my last OCI, and have used RL Sl-1 regularly since....I decided to use a 'combo' of both MMO and SL-1...because of your suggestions. Prior to my next OCI, I will do another full bottle of either Regane or Sl-1...and then continue on the above combo regimen.

Last edited:
Im interested in stacking those also. I started using MMO in my fuel about 4 bottles ago. I went through one bottle and just kept buying it. haha.

I haven't heard of this RL FL product. Im willing to give it a shot after a few of you said it cleans better than MMO. Since that was the original reason i bought the MMO in the first place....

It appears none of my local autoparts stores sell this SL-1. But it is an amazon prime product. Cant beat free shipping.

Last edited:
I have a full bottle of Redline SI fuel system cleaner that I am saving for later (it can not be had here locally and was a gift), when the engine will benefit the most from it.

I am currently stacking MMO & TC-W3 where I believe each is slightly better in one area than the other. I believe MMO is the superior, of the two, additive for keeping everything from the fuel pump to the injectors clean as part of a regular fuel system regimen that includes occasional use of a PEA cleaning with Regane or Redline SI-1, etc. I think TC-W3 lubricates slightly better and therefore more offsets the "dryness" of the ethanol content that is also pumped through the fuel pump.

I have considered the Redline/MMO combo as well, but with scarcity of it for me, I go with TC-W3 in place of it as its more pragmatic with what's available for regular usage locally.

I'll still be following the RL-MMO experiment the earlier member posted about, with interest though, if he updates how it goes (and any other posts on fuel additive stacking).

As with the OP and others, I wish to see no thread jack on the part of those that do not see the benefit of additives, don't use these, and have nothing therefore relevant to contribute to the OP's subject. Hopefully he will be shown a little respect on this by the membership and they will save that discussion for those threads where it has relevance.

-Spyder

^ This is interesting to me. I was battling a severely varnished-over fuel injection system due to neglect for many years. I actually ran several fuel system cleaners through successive tanks (Techron, Regane, Redline, Lucas and finally Seafoam). With each application, things cleared up until I used the Lucas. It actually got a bit worse then seemed to break through the barrier. The Seafoam cleaned the last of it. With each tank, I ran MMO.

I read a post in another forum where a recommendation was put forward to run a pint of ATF in the tank to lube up the injectors, pumps etc. I decided to run a pint of MMO through the system and it did just that. Now, there is a smoothness to the engine that hasn't been there since new some 30 years ago.

After reading this post, I will continue to run MMO in the maintenance dosage of 4 ozs/ 10 gallons and consider adding 4 ozs of Seafoam which closely coincides with their recommendation (one can divided among the engine oil, intake and the tank). The use of 2-cycle oil is intriguing as well. I may try it to determine its lubricity. My pumps and the injectors will let me know.

All I can say is: These additives transformed my old Volvo and I am a firm believer in their efficacy.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
What is TCW3??

Ashless 2 stroke motor oil. Mainly used in outboard 2 stroke engines but also added to fuel by many of us. Typical ratio is 500:1, TC-W3:fuel.

There are a few threads in this forum on benefits (nothing scientific as its a hard one to prove).

-Spyder

my truck is gas and the fuel system is clean(i have run many bottles of seafoan and regaine threw it)
i recently started using mmo in my crankcase to get rid of some varnish. i read alot on it and figured i might run it in the gas too for a ucl and better mileage. it works!! i get about 2 mpgs more now.
my question to all you is: will the oil in it make more soot and carbon my engine internals up??

2mpg would be the difference in driving styles, or more highway driving.

I really don't see the benefit to any of these fuel additives, it reminds me of dumping money into a toilet and flushing it.

I've only had to use "dry gas" when I had a problem with some water from a fill up, and this was several years back.

My saturn gets mostly top tier Mobil fuel, or whatever has a low price.

I think the money on fuel additives may be better spent by changing the fuel filter more often..

No matter what I do, my saturn always gets 29.5-31mpg in mixed mostly highway driving. I even accidentally put a tank of 93 octane in it once, same figure.

mine is pretty picky about gas
its almost 10-1 and when gas is not so great i think it retards the timing
for example i get much better mileage with exxon vs wal mart gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back