Snow tires in NC (flat area) ... Overkill or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OEM size for bird is 225/60/16 lug pattern 4.25 i think

and Boo! I am already too late (unless I find a local General dealer that has Altimax Arctics in my size in stock): We're expecting some ice and rain on Thu early...hopefully it's driveable with my current tires by 7 a.m.
frown.gif

By This Wk-end i MUST get the Bird winter ready !!!

Last edited:
If you can fit 15 inch wheels over your brakes you can run taller skinnier tires which will flex and dig down better, both good for snow traction. And they'll soak up potholes and frost heaves better too.

The good deals on craigslist are probably done for the year, but I got 4 snow tires almost brand new (still had rubber nubs on the tread) mounted on steel rims for $200 in the summer of '09.

They are ¾" shorter than my oems but big deal, my speedo reads 3% fast when they are on.

I would look for a pair of cheap ford rims in your bolt pattern and have dedicated snows mounted assuming you have room to store them.

I have the larger sport option front rotors so only 16" and larger wheels can clear those. and I really don't have storage space for the rims, etc...at least not yet.

Good ideas for the future, though...Thanks guys.

Right now I just need to order the Altimax from TR and get them on asap, i think.

Last edited:
Echoing the good comments other's have said regarding the Firestone Winterforce Snow Tires..if you decide to go with snows. I've had them on the GMQ for the past two winters here, and they grip well, and seem to wear better than decently also
thumbsup2.gif

I'd go with the Nokian WR G2. It is an excellent snow and all-season tire. Yeah, I know it seems like an oxymoron, but it's not. They're not cheap, but you don't need two sets of tires with the WR G2.

I'm glad I came across this post. I have been thinking about winter tires also. I have been driving in the ice and snow for over ten years on Firestone FR380's and while I have never had a "close call" I can't handle the stress anymore.

I burned up the rears last winter driving around spinning the rears and I've slid past one too many turns. It's not so bad when you only drive a few miles across town to go to work but I have had to drive pretty long distances (600 miles) through blizzards on ice and unlowed snow so I'm going to get a set of winter tires for my '73 Cadillac Coupe.

I just can't take it anymore. I'll just have to keep two sets of tires around. Any suggestions on a good decently priced winter/snow tire in addition to those already mentioned?

I'm glad I came across this post. I have been thinking about winter tires also. I have been driving in the ice and snow for over ten years on Firestone FR380's and while I have never had a "close call" I can't handle the stress anymore.

I burned up the rears last winter driving around spinning the rears and I've slid past one too many turns. It's not so bad when you only drive a few miles across town to go to work but I have had to drive pretty long distances (600 miles) through blizzards on ice and unlowed snow so I'm going to get a set of winter tires for my '73 Cadillac Coupe.

I just can't take it anymore. I'll just have to keep two sets of tires around. Any suggestions on a good decently priced winter/snow tire in addition to those already mentioned?

Originally Posted By: Trvlr500
Any suggestions on a good decently priced winter/snow tire in addition to those already mentioned?

General Altimax Arctic is probably your best bang for the buck right now.

UPDATE:
Ordered the Altimax Arctics (no studs) from Tire Rack - OEM size 225/60/16. ($83 per tire + $55 shipping)

(Discount Tire didn't have them in that size at all, or any General Tires for that matter in that size.)

Kinda excited to try them out...I guess I need to get some sand bags for the trunk, too...Two 50 lb bags should do it, I assume?
Will definitely update of the experience.

Thanks for the great advice/tips, all of you.

Last edited:
Got the Altimax Arctics (225/60/16, OEM size for the car @ $83/tires from TireRack) installed today ($14 mount/balance per tire at our usual tire rack recomm. installer)...

They're of course a bit louder than the Kumho KH16 a/s tires I had, but otherwise they feel fine..today was about 50F high temp. They feel a bit slower than the a/s tires I had, which is to be expected I guess...

Now for some snow, and to see how they do. Hopefully soon.
smile.gif

The new shoes on the snow-beater:

DSCN0779.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back