2010 Mazda 3 2.5L Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe i'm just being an over concerned new car owner but I shall ask nevertheless.

I bought a 2010 Mazda 3 2.5L in Sept of this year. Mazda requires a 5w20 spec oil. I changed the factory dino oil out at 2500KM and my mechanic put in LubroMoly 5w40 with the old adage that thicker oil was better for temperate climates here in Canada (Vancouver) and a larger Mann oil filter.

After reading a lot of the information here, i'm nearly convinced to put PP5w20 in, instead of the LM-5w40. And keeping the larger MANN oil filter, that fits perfectly and seem to have a great track record.

Am I going to cause any adverse effects on the 2.5L with this heavier oil? I've only put on 6500KM total. Or am I just wildly imagining things going wrong with what I have done? And put the PP5w20 in ASAP.

I've been reading this website for sometime now and I want to say thank you to everyone who's ever contributed, it's a vast array of great information.

I think you are very correct that PP5w20 would have been a better choice. However, now that you have a heaver oil, just do a shorter than normal oil change interval. I doubt any harm will be done with the 40wt oil but, certainly not the best choice. JMO. Ed

Even though you live in Canada, I don't think LM 5w40 would do any harm especially since its a stout synthetic and would pour at a much lower temp than what you see in Vancouver.
With that said, those Ford engines love and I mean love 5w20 oils for some odd reasons so I would definitely switch to that viscosity once you are done with LM 5w40.

I can't really prove it other than my ear. The 3 seems a bit quieter all around on PP5w20 than the dealer bulk Castrol 5w20.

After this 7500 mile OCI I plan on doing a UOA and maybe going with PU next time around.

Will 5w40 hurt it? Not really other than maybe reduced fuel economy but the engine wants 5w20, so that's what it gets.

I am not sure if the Variable Valve Timing is oil pressure actuated or not.

My greatest worry was the VVT being affected, whether now or later. I will try the PP5w20 and see what it feels like for this oil change, and perhaps on the next one will try a 0w20.

Thanks everyone for the help. Next time i'm visiting the USA, i'll be sure to pick up more of it, as it's rather expensive here in Canada.

I put Edge 5w20 in my wifes 08 escape 2.3, its so quiet @ a stop i cant tell its running, mpgs went up too, i have 08 mazda 6 2.3 running M1 0w20, she has a lead foot, she still gets btr mpgs and hers is quiter, now my engines are 2.3's but 2.5 is their replacement, my vote is Edge 5w20, but i havent tried Edge 0w20

I 2nd the Edge. Since it's winter and so far north I would recommend the Edge 0w20 if you can find it. Though the 5w20 is fine. PP 5w20 would work great as well, as would M1 5w20 or 0w20 AFE. I really like the Edge though. A lot.

I run M1 5w20 in son-in-law's Ford Focus and he is absolutely ecstatic with it. Says it's very smooth and quiet and revs quicker. Though he came from Valvoline WB conventional.

Everything I've tried Edge in so far has made each vehicle run smoother and quieter according to my wife and daughter and I can say the same for my car which is currently running it. It seems a few other bitogers around here cite the same thing. Consider me extremely impressed and happy with it. Though I think all 3 of these are very good quality and you will be happy with any of them so you may just see which one you can catch on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back