What to use to keep exposed surfaces from rusting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to apply some grease to equipment parts that I keep outdoors. Things like the spline on a PTO device, bolt threads, etc. What should I use?

Pajohn

I've been very impressed with my Schaeffer's Aluminum Complex greases.

My former experience was all with lithium complex greases. Both conventional and synthetic. Everything lasted about the same. All were very subject to sling out, wash out or bleeding.

For example my PTO joints needed greasing every 4 to 6 hours depending on the ambient temp. and at every startup.

Bob talked me into trying some Schaeffer's product 238 #2. I'll never go back to Lithium Complex again. This stuff stays where you pump it and does not wash off in the rain.

The PTO joints now get greased after about 24 hours and don't really need it then. Additionally the splines get greased every fall and in spring the grease is still there. The winter rains don't wash it off.

CRC and LPS make a number of aersol spray can products specifically designed to prevent metal corrosion on stored, outdoor metal/equipment. LPS #3 is described as: "Waxy film stops rust and corrosion and provides a protective coating for up to two years. Penetrates to displace moisture and provides anti seize coating. Check their web sites out.

I have not tried these products, but they might be less messy than grease. My .02 cents.

Fluid Film does work. I get mine at the local John Deere dealer.

For the spline I'd only use grease since you will have to clean off whatever you use before you use that spline again.

How 'bout an "open gear lube"?? Maybe too sticky for your needs...
dunno.gif

What would protect steel from rusting and resist high temperatures? It seems to me there was another thread here recently with more on preventing rust. Maybe if I could spell Cosmolene, my search would have found it. As a test, I dabbed a little tune up grease here and there on the exhaust system of my car. I will see how far back any is left after my wife gets home from work Monday, 30 miles each way.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
What would protect steel from rusting and resist high temperatures? It seems to me there was another thread here recently with more on preventing rust. Maybe if I could spell Cosmolene, my search would have found it. As a test, I dabbed a little tune up grease here and there on the exhaust system of my car. I will see how far back any is left after my wife gets home from work Monday, 30 miles each way.

CorrosionX is still a great choice. Also good old Vaseline works pretty darn well also

Now that the rust problem is solved, there's a corrosion problem with batterys on equipment left out in the elements, including the area around the batterys. Try cleaning the area with soap and water, carefully drying the area and finally use Pledge Furniture Polish from a spray can. It will keep the area around a battery and the battery itsel looking like brand new. It's better than grease or vasoline.

In answer to my question on high temperature applications. I picked up a tube of Sil-Glyde (NAPA's spelling) today. It give a range of -20 to 600F. $5 for 4 ozs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back