Where are the zerke fittings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally grease suspensions three or four time a year, making sure to add just enough grease to see the seal or boot start to expand.

Have not found any Zerke fittings (yet) on my 2004 TrailBlazer, what is the long term consequence?
Should I use a grease needle to add grease (puncturing the seal or boot in the same spot) say every 25,000 miles, then seal the puncture with a silicon sealant?
Is this an acceptable means to add grease, assuming it will extend the life of the joint?

The manual says to use.....
Lubricant meeting requirements of
NLGI #2, Category LB or GC-LB

on the following....
Chassis
Rear driveline center spline
Universal joints
Constant velocity universal joint

My other question is regarding the “Change Engine Oil” life system. Should I change the oil like I have done in the past (every 3500 to 4000 miles) or let the system tell me when to. The oil capacity of the engine is 7 Quarts.

Torquelock,

There are no grease fittings on the Trailblazers, Envoys, or Rainiers. They're supposed to be lubed with some sort of synthetic lube from the manufacturer. I think as long as there is no leakage in the joint or boots there should be no reason to lube it. The grease is still in there. There are several makes of cars out there that use this system. Mostly in an effort to make the vehicles maintenance free and cut servicing costs.
In regards to the oil change. I use the oil life monitor system. However, I use synthetic oil (Mobil 1) and AC oil filters. My owner's manual states to change the oil when the light comes on within the next two gasoline fillups, or once a year not to exceed 10000 miles. If you use a synthetic oil you won't have any problems. Unless you drive under extreme conditions. In this case I would adhere to the 3000 to 4000 mile service schedule.

Westex

With no grease fittings -- you don't grease.
The owner's manual is written to cover a number of models, some of which have grease fittings. Of course the other option is that the folks who wrote the owner's manual had their cranium up their dupa.
Terry

So without grease fittings how do I go about
Lubricating the:
Rear driveline center spline, Universal joints and
Constant velocity universal joint at every oil change as stated in the owners manual?

Torquelock

The service manual for the Trailblazer states specifically that the U joints do not require maintenance. As a normal rule, if there's a boot covering a joint and/or there's no obvious way to insert grease, it's designed to be maintance free.

Lubed for life is the term. When it runs out of grease, end of component life. Technically they aren't wrong. But, I have a Explorer with 200K on the clock, with the orginal U joints still working just fine. If I need replacements, they have zerke fittings. How long will these last? Probably longer than the car.

WDP

Noticed that right away on my 2002 Trailblazer. A truck-based body on full frame SUV with NO zerk fittings anywhere. Just wear it out and take it to the dealer, let them replace a few hundred dollars worth of joints, links, etc., because they just needed grease. Those grease fittings probably wound up in the trash can of some bean-counter at GM trying to find ways to cut costs. The stabilizer bar links especially take a real beating and wear out on some way before the 36K mile warranty is even up. Hopefully someone will make aftermarket stabilizer bar links with zerks with as many of these out there that will fail, but I don't count on it.

I think my 92 Grand Am only had 4, maybe only 2. Ran it 180K over 10 years and never had problems with something being too loose for alignments. Have 53 K on my 2 Zerk 02 Cavalier with no known problems. Of course both weighed about 2500 lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back