GM Oil life Monitoring System accuracy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So last year I bought a new 2009 G6. It has that Oil life Monitoring System that I dont particularly like haha.

I drive quite abit, from about 50 miles to 30k miles ive been using the dealership cheap oil changes that use GM goodwrench for 12.95+ tax w/ a filter, so its pretty cheap. Personally, I dont like taking it down all the way to 10% or 0% oil life. I ususally would go about 4,000 miles when its still at like 50%? Its mind blowing, I wouldn't go almost 10,000 miles on conventional oil...

Ive been checking the oil, the oil looks clean but I get this black stuff on the paper towl to check oil. I wouldn't call it sludge its not thick just bothers me that my oil is clean but im getting something else on my oil.

Now I just switched to Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 to keep my engine clean. I will change it every 5k miles. Would that be the best to keep my car runnings strong?

GM's Oil Life Monitors are some of the most accurate out there. If you do a lot of highway miles you probably could go 8k-10k on one OCI.
There are several old threads out there where people run the Monitor to 0% and then send out an analysis. And they are remarkably accurate.
The monitor takes into calculation driving styles, distance, engine temp amongst other things. With the engines being computer driven they are much more efficient than most people give them credit for.

BTW, you can easily go 10K on Ultra. 4K is a waste on any synthetic.

Please note there are members out there that reset their Oil Life Monitor when it reaches 0% and drive it back down to 20% before checking their Amsoil or Redline that they are running.

tho im not a gm fan, but i believe their olm to be more accurate than fords prior of 2010 anyways, and im not a huge fan of taking oil to its max, but id up the oci to atleast 6k to "get my moneys worth"

Yes that olm has no clue what you are running. If it was Fram synthetic or Redline same results. OLM are for the idiot light crowd and remember they want you to think it will cost less to maintain or atleast till the 5 years are up. You did the right thing. Be in control as often as things permit.
wink.gif

I have a vehicle with the GM OLM system and I, too, am a little squeamish about going 8-10K on conventional. So I throw synthetic in there and call it good.

But to allay your fears, I've seen a few oil analyses in the UOA forum with conventional oil, running until the OLM said to. The results I've seen have been fine - the oil is very near "used up" but wear levels are normal. In other words, GM engineers knew what they were doing.

For 13 bucks, 5k would be great. The OLM of course wants u to wind it out to 8k or whatever. 5k will keep the engine infinitely clean.

I totally agree with your concern, I have the same deal on my Hondas', I do 5K with what is on sale at AAP that month. I dont't trust any conventional or syn to go 10+K with only a 4qt sump. People will hate on you for "wasting" but I recycle. It's your car do what you want. I have a hard time believing they want your car to go 300K. Like someone mentioned above, it is an idiot light. You could do a UOA and check for TBN when you settle on an oil that you like.

Originally Posted By: Josh48065
Personally, I dont like taking it down all the way to 10% or 0% oil life.

You could always choose a percentage you're more comfortable with, say 30%, 40% or whatever.

The girl I'm curantly dating has an 04 Tahoe. She says that the system goes 10K plus on every OCI. I don't think it's working correctly since most of her trips are 2-3 miles at the most.

Hers does not tell you how much is left. It just pops up I guess.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

The OLM system is conservative to start with. You can run it to 0% without worries

Oh, I agree, its a great system. But some people think its an "all or nothing" deal; they either change their oil at 0% or they go by miles. They don't notice that the system could be customized.

As a lot of those other threads will tell you, it isn't linear. Because 50% is 4000 miles doesn't necessarily mean 0% will be 8000 miles.

Mine definitely runs a longer OCI in the summer than it does in the winter. And I never see as long as is talked about south of the border (maybe they forgot the conversion
21.gif
)I am not as comfortable with the G5 so I started running synthetic however, it does have a smaller engine and more oil so I guess it makes sense that it goes longer. I'm comfortable with it myself so I use it, supposed to have 1000km from when it says to change it so when it comes on I usually do it that weekend. Last week was the first time I actually saw 0%, too cold and snowy the week before to do it!!

Ignore it, call it an idiot light, do what ever you want, you're here asking questions and I would assume trying to learn so you are ahead of probably 90% of the population!

Todays oils and engines are different than the oil and the engines made in the 1960s. It is hard to really say though oils are way different than in the 1960's some people buy expensive long life syn oils and change then at 4 to 6,000 miles and think they are doing good.

Just for "fun" I drove my Northstar OLM to 5% at 8300 miles then sampled to Blackstone. Low/no wear and plenty of life left on QSUD and M1 filter. Drive about 10k/yr. Not sure if I'll change 2x/year or OLM, but I trust the GM OLM (and Blackstone).

Originally Posted By: C4Dave
One of the best threads ever on BITOG. Too bad he was banned. I never understood why, given what he could provide for this forum.

I thought he left Voluntarily? Tired of responding to all the opinionated shade-trees...

I use my OLM in my 08' Chevy Impala SS and love it! Whenever it indicates an oil change is needed then it's time for a service without looking at my odometer or manual.

I like to use a synthetic and the dealership offers Mobil 1 5W-30 as an alternate. For sure it'll take me to an OCI of 6K and that's fine with me.

OLM's have been around for a long time. Honda Accords had them during the mid eighties era although it was more mechanical and used colors to indicate how soon tochange out the oil but during those times they wanted every 7500K oil changes and prefered 3K's instead due to the fact I used any cheap oil I could get on a college budget. You name the brand I used it. Remember STP??? yes they had their own oil then.

Durango

I'd go with a good synthetic and run the OLM down close to 0%. I wouldn't like going too far with conventional oil, either. We spend too much on vehicles to try to save a few bucks on our oil changes. Go with the good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back