Mobil 1 0w40 - 7000 miles / 160 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sample of M1 0w40 at changeout for M1 ESP 5w30.

7K miles / 160 hours. Engine still modified to near double torque and HP from factory. I am NOT gentle on the engine.

Fuel dilution due to short trips. Engine was also not fully warm before sampling.

2 miles from work, 1.5 miles from shopping, 7 miles from the post office. Drive to work sometimes requires zero to 50 MPH with gusto on a cold engine.

e39140-001.jpg

TDIs shed Fe; that's all there is to it. I don't think it matters what oil is in there; they all shed Fe. But the level of Fe is reasonably consistent, and in line with a lot of other TDIs, indicating all is well with yours.

Everything else is fine, especially given your admitted severity of use. FP is tad low due to the fuel; not an issue overall. TBN is rocking still.

I would not advise a huge jump in OCI duration; I think their suggestion is good. A slow, methodical move up the OCI scale is prudent. But overall, given this type of report, I'd say that 9k miles may not be the limit of this combination!

In 7 months, you went approximately 12k miles? You must do a LOT of short trips!

Last edited:
Only the past 3 months have had the short-trip conditions, prior to that it in 2010 it was 1000+ miles a month, all interstate.

The top-off of 0.75 quarts was done about 1000 miles before sampling and change-out. (a 2 day trip).

Are you running M1 ESP 5W30 in an 03 engine? Why? I keep insisting that ESP oils are compromises to preserve the DPF and catalyst; which an 03 TDI doesn't have!
TBNs down as low as 6.4, phosphorus as low as 600ppm...
I'm going to try Delvac 1 LE 5W30 in my 09 ACEA C3 requiring BMW X5 35d. It has only 800ppm P but I'd guess >200ppm boron in substitute ash free AW molecules; also with only 1.0% ash a TBN of 12.6
I believe you have read my story of TBN falling to 1.5 and TAN rising to 4.83 after ~10800 mi in the X5 35d (9L sump) with Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W30, an ESP type C3 oil.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Are you running M1 ESP 5W30 in an 03 engine? Why? I keep insisting that ESP oils are compromises to preserve the DPF and catalyst; which an 03 TDI doesn't have!
TBNs down as low as 6.4, phosphorus as low as 600ppm...
I'm going to try Delvac 1 LE 5W30 in my 09 ACEA C3 requiring BMW X5 35d. It has only 800ppm P but I'd guess >200ppm boron in substitute ash free AW molecules; also with only 1.0% ash a TBN of 12.6
I believe you have read my story of TBN falling to 1.5 and TAN rising to 4.83 after ~10800 mi in the X5 35d (9L sump) with Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W30, an ESP type C3 oil.

Charlie

Yup, in my 03.

We are constantly told these are the most advanced oils, let's see how they do! If I'm not happy, I still have other oils I can use.

I would suggest that when you have your UOA done that you ask for both a TBN and TAN.

Charlie

Do you know if B-S does TAN?

Originally Posted By: BobFout
I would suggest that when you have your UOA done that you ask for both a TBN and TAN.

Charlie

Do you know if B-S does TAN?

I know with Detroit Diesel who does my oil analysis TBN is extra cost but when you request it they automatically do TAN as well.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
Blackstone can perform a TAN I had one done. It's $10.00 extra same as the TBN.

Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

It's my understanding that TBN and TAN are inverse. There are a number of papers out there describing how, under most circumstances, you can make a pretty good estimate of one from the other. If TBN is low, that means the add pack is worn out and the acid number is up. Obviously, there are times when you need to know things exactly, but for everyday one or the other is good enough.

I'm not a chemist, but is not Jim's logic sound? Acids and Bases are motal enemies; one overtakes the other if the quantities are unbalanced. If they are in balance, that means the pH is nuetral, does it not?

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I'm not a chemist, but is not Jim's logic sound? Acids and Bases are motal enemies; one overtakes the other if the quantities are unbalanced. If they are in balance, that means the pH is nuetral, does it not?

There must be a reason why both tests exist.

Originally Posted By: EricJRoy
Bob, how does the oil look after 7,000? What oil filter did you use and/or prefer?

It looks very black like it did 2 minutes after going in
grin2.gif

I've used all the various OE ones: Bosch, Hengst, Mann, Meyle. Never seen a difference in insolubles on UOA reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back