Grease gun pressure release

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDP

Now that I have switched to a synthetic grease for use in my cartridge gun, the constant spring pressure is bleeding the oil out of the mix. Not only is this messy but the active ingredent is being reduced with each passing day. Question?? is there a way to release the spring pressure on the cartridge between uses? The gun is a cheapie and resists all efforts to pull back the handle.Or if someone can recommend a make/model grease gun can be made to stop the bleeding. Thanks in advance.
WDP

Think of grease as a cotton ball filled with oil. Then the constant pressure on it will expel the oil out of the gun. I bought a grease gun at Ace Hardware a few years ago and it works good.

You are correct, you must pull the "T" handle back to relieve pressure.

dunno.gif

How were you able to load the cartridge in it in the first place if the spring center rod does not hold back & lock? On mine (I think Plews) you pull back and it locks on a little groove.

SOP is to open the air bleed screw to pull back the handle, OK to replace the cartridge but will air lock the gun if used on a partial cartridge for my pressure release problem.

WDP

Hm. I would lock the T around something stationary and pull. The piston seals on these things are not all that great, mine leaks oil past the piston. Violence solves everything.
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back