Exxon Lidok Moly CG (garage door lube?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do garage door wheels need lubing? How about the screw drive on my Genie? I have some Exxon Lidok Moly CG whatever that means. I bought it to lube the new driveshaft of my weed whacker after I broke the old one. Can I use it on the garage door parts, or should I use some 80W90 Supertech gear oil?

If it is a #2 grease that would fine. The secret is a thin film on parts, not gobbs of grease.

You don't want any oil dripping on the floor or car.

I use Amsoil's Red Spray Grease (GLC?) for the ball bearing rollers on the garage doors and Schaeffer's #274 for worms or chains.

Genie recommends Lubriplate Low Temp to be used on screw drive openers. If you have an Motion Industries office near you, that's one place where you can get it. All the installers in my area use Lubriplate on Genies.

I was in Home Depot today and walked by the garage door display. There was a package of three small grease tubes from Genie that caught my eye. It said something like the only thing you should use on the screw drive.

I've had a Genie screw drive (which was installed professionally) for 5 years that has made a racket from day one.

I thought, what the heck, and bought the three tiny tubes (one for each application it said) for $5.

I came home and ran the opener with the door disconnected and wiped off as much grease as I could.

Then I applied one Genie tube, ran it about twenty times up and down, wiped off excess, applied second tube, up and down again, then wiped off excess.

The thing is now 10X quieter.

I was ready to buy a new opener. The grease was probably 100x overpriced in these tiny tubes, but it was worth it.

Which is great marketing by genie. I'd be curious as to the specs on the grease and who makes it.

Yes mine is hella noisy after 1.5 years. My parents 25 year old chain drive is near silent compared to mine. What junk. Good thing I got it for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back