THINGS ABOUT GREASE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too would like to bring this info back to the top. They have answered some questions that have been on my mind lately.
They are in my bookmarks now.....thanks for posting them.
cheers.gif

Well it confirmed what I thought about air craft/artilery grease that has clay in it.
(I knew that it is basicly recylced gunk and it's dirt cheap. Now I know it sucks for sure)

The stuff I have to use is not any thing like mobilgrease 28.
My grease has things peanut oil, veg oil, animal fats, petro oils, clay and a hole lot of other stuff. I'll have to get the mil spec but I think it is plain old MIL-81322

Kendall Super Blue anybody? Just curious, my dads an own-operator, truck driver. He's alwasy used Kendal Super Blue, buyts it by the case. One of the most expensive greases he's found. H'es NEVER had kingpin problems,r arely has U-joint problems. Meanwhile, his friends use lithium and even other cheaper greases, and have multiple more probelms than him. Do they even make this grease anymroe, I have't seen it ona store shelf in years.

kendogg, the grease is still made but Conoco Phillips now owns Kendall. From looking at the specs of this product there is nothing special about it. Its a Lithiam complex grease with an iso 150 base oil. Average 4 ball wear and timken test. Pretty much run of the mill for a multipurpose grease. If its the most expensive grease he can find I'd have to say he's getting taken to the cleaners for a decent multipurpose grease.

Kendall SuperBlu is (was) excellent grease. Spec sheets tell physical properties and that's about it. Don't know what the Kendall line is like now that C-P owns the name, but when they were their own company, they made flat-out superior products.

Yup I would agree ,the super blu is a great product,lithium complex,one that is sort of similar is Mystik SX-6 semi-synt,and is also blue in color,Kendall along with Wolfhead years ago were top shelf stuff,Ahh how times change,,BL

This is some great information. I went to a grease course several years ago and never realized the actual chemistry of manufacturing grease. Also, there is such a thing as over greasing plus compatibility problems with mixing the wrong greases.

Yet when you talk to the average person about grease they give you the "yeah, sure, right, whatever" look.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: oilman86
kendogg, the grease is still made but Conoco Phillips now owns Kendall. From looking at the specs of this product there is nothing special about it. Its a Lithiam complex grease with an iso 150 base oil. Average 4 ball wear and timken test. Pretty much run of the mill for a multipurpose grease. If its the most expensive grease he can find I'd have to say he's getting taken to the cleaners for a decent multipurpose grease.
I like to have just one grease to cover all my applications. Cars/SUV, marine, and garden equipment. I have been using Chevron Delo EP NLGI 2 for many years. I think it's a premium grease at about $2.25 a tube. It withstands high loads. Above average 4 ball and timken. I think you can pay more for less protection.

Originally Posted By: oil pan 4
Well it confirmed what I thought about air craft/artilery grease that has clay in it.
(I knew that it is basicly recylced gunk and it's dirt cheap. Now I know it sucks for sure)

I am a geotechnical engineer. In the area where I work, we have soft clays that, well, would make excellent grease!!
LOL.gif

Basically its microfine particles weathered from basalt transported to the mudflats...

And yet you have developers wanting to build on this grease...

I saw a drawign for a local bridge from the 50's. the borehole logs note "GREASY CLAY" for the most part.

You need to get your dad to use a product called OverDrive HD from CITGO. One of the best, lubes everything but wheel bearings. Super performer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back