Best polish or paint cleaner for hand application

Status
Not open for further replies.
before waxing?

recommendations appreciated
smile.gif

3M Imperial Hand Glaze. Qt bottle part number is 5990. When I used to mix and tint automotive paint, we would ALWAYS use the Imperial Hand Glaze on whatever it was we were trying to match. I've tried other products, but I'm sold on the 3M stuff. About $20-$25 a bottle and is often available at Pep Boys or any autobody supply house that carries the 3M line. Works great on any faded surface. I clean the dust cover on my old Technics DJ turntable with it.

Imperial Hand Glaze isn't really a polish or paint cleaner - it's a glaze that's primarily oils and fillers, so it improves the appearance by filling imperfections rather than removing or correcting them. It does make the finish look good for a short time, but has very little durability, especially in any kind of weather. Best product I have used is P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser, which may not be that easy to find (except online). If you want to be overwhelmed with information and ideas, check out autopia.org, probably the foremost detailing forum on the net...

If you want to be able to pick up something locally, get Ultra Compound and SwirlX for total of $13 (at Walmart). Try SwirlX first and if your paint needs UC, then try UC and then SwirlX. These are the best polishes that you will able to buy over the counter at Walmart/Target and are extremely cheap.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
If you want to be able to pick up something locally, get Ultra Compound and SwirlX for total of $13 (at Walmart). Try SwirlX first and if your paint needs UC, then try UC and then SwirlX. These are the best polishes that you will able to buy over the counter at Walmart/Target and are extremely cheap.

- Vikas

My car is only 7 months old so I doubt I need a compound.

Thanks for the SwirlX tip though.

Originally Posted By: NEOhio_Bob
Imperial Hand Glaze isn't really a polish or paint cleaner - it's a glaze that's primarily oils and fillers, so it improves the appearance by filling imperfections rather than removing or correcting them. It does make the finish look good for a short time, but has very little durability, especially in any kind of weather. Best product I have used is P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser, which may not be that easy to find (except online). If you want to be overwhelmed with information and ideas, check out autopia.org, probably the foremost detailing forum on the net...

And there's nothing wrong with using it after the car has been washed, clayed, and pre-cleaned (Mother's pre-wax cleaner works great for that step) as long as you follow it with a high quality wax, like Collinite's Insulator Wax.

Quote:
My car is only 7 months old so I doubt I need a compound.

Not saying your car needs compounding, but you'd be surprised how many new cars need compounding. In fact, I'd say the vast majority of brand new cars I detail need some degree of compounding. Ultimate compound can come in handy for removing what swirl x cannot, especially when working by hand where you have less cut than when working with a machine.

Last edited:
Klasse All In One is an excellent paint cleaner/surface prep product. It's easy to work with by hand and is the original of the AIO type products. 16 ounces will last for years since so little is required. If you can see it on the surface you used too much.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Klasse All In One is an excellent paint cleaner/surface prep product. It's easy to work with by hand and is the original of the AIO type products. 16 ounces will last for years since so little is required. If you can see it on the surface you used too much.

KAIO is on my short list, but I may wait until next month when Meg's Ultimate Polish comes out.

For $10 bucks I may give it a try since it adds polishing oils and I typically stay clear of sealants and go for carnuba type products or #26 for my neutral color car.

Also considering Duragloss polishes. Just don't know which one.

I use Meg's cleaner wax as a first coat after clay barring and always have on all my vehicles. It's cheap and readily available in paste or liquid.

Follow up with whatever you normally use as your top coat(s).

Quote:
Also considering Duragloss polishes. Just don't know which one.

I have experience with that line and it is superb. They are labeled "polish" but it's a catchphrase for marketing, they are not abrasive.

#501 Marine/RV has the maximum chemical cleaners and leaves a sealant behind. #105 has less cleaners and more sealant, known more for its durability than #501. I use #105 on a regular basis and find the look and durability top notch. They are quite inexpensive if you want to use both. #105 will apply over #501 (after buffing it off) if you want both max cleaning and durability. #105 is the way to go if you only want one.....both easy on & easy off.

For #501, think Klasse AIO at roughly half the price but the same outcome. For #105, think Zaino at a fraction of the price with a very similar outcome (too close to judge)...solid products. If you wish to order get them from the Duragloss site, shipping is really cheap. You will not be disappointed. Aquawax is another of their outstanding products. In spite of the name it is a spray on wipe off sealant. The look is spectacular and the ease of application is sinful. Microfiber towels are a must.

Carquest and Fisher Auto Parts generally carry Duragloss products or they can get it for you next day from their warehouse.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Carquest and Fisher Auto Parts generally carry Duragloss products or they can get it for you next day from their warehouse.

Federated auto parts also. I've ordered product in the morning and have had it by the afternoon. You just have to yell at them a little(joking).

Also with the Duragloss products, there is #601 which is a chemical cleaner with NO polishing agents or sealants. Preps surface and supposed to double the durability of #105. Apply to surface BUT do not buff off. Then apply the #105.

#652 is a scratch remover BUT takes alot of elbow grease. I'd go with the Meguiars here eventhough I love most of the DG products. Just way too gentle to use by hand. I've never tried using it via machine.

#652 Swirl remover. Contains polishing agents and a sealant. Great at removing spider webbing. Then when you wash it next be sure to apply some Aquawax to boost the protection.

#901 shampoo--great lubricity and sheeting action when drying. Has a cherry scent.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
For #501, think Klasse AIO at roughly half the price but the same outcome. For #105, think Zaino at a fraction of the price with a very similar outcome (too close to judge)...solid products. If you wish to order get them from the Duragloss site, shipping is really cheap. You will not be disappointed. Aquawax is another of their outstanding products. In spite of the name it is a spray on wipe off sealant. The look is spectacular and the ease of application is sinful. Microfiber towels are a must.

Is #501 and #105 easy to apply/remove?

If you're still interested in recommendations for mail/web order, I tried Zaino's last summer on my Mustang (original paint, not clear coat). Scrubbed it with dishwashing detergent, clay barred, followed by the cleaner (Z-AIO) and finally the wax (Z-3). Easy to apply and remove. Six months later, it beads like new and looks great after mild washing. http://www.zainostore.com/

Originally Posted By: ag_ghost
If you're still interested in recommendations for mail/web order, I tried Zaino's last summer on my Mustang (original paint, not clear coat). Scrubbed it with dishwashing detergent, clay barred, followed by the cleaner (Z-AIO) and finally the wax (Z-3). Easy to apply and remove. Six months later, it beads like new and looks great after mild washing. http://www.zainostore.com/

I've read Duragloss rivals Zaino in looks and durability for a fraction of the cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back