Grease for GM slipyoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Chevy 2500HD that gets a clunk in the rearend about once a month. It comes from the slipyoke that comes out of the back of the transfer case. For whatever reason it really goes thru the grease. As of now I have to pull the driveshaft and grease it once a month which is getting to be a hassle. The dealer says its not a problem,and isn't affecting anything,but it really gets on my nerves. They have me using a HD red grease,and like I said it only lasts about a month.

Is there a better brand of grease that may last longer?

You should be able to take the shaft to the machine shop and have a grease fitting installed.
cheers.gif

I'll second the #221,It seems to have just the right amount of tack for most jobs and the moly will protect surfaces surfaces in the event of film failure and also tends to fill in surface irregularities, and water won't have any effect on it.. A tacky grease seems to work well in sliding applications IMO due to it's ability to pull a film of grease over the surface as it slides back and forth.

It seems that using teflon grease on the splines will prevent the shaft from hanging in place and causing the clunk as you accelerate.

I have bought teflon grease from bicycle shops but never the type that you'd use on a automotive driveline component. I don't know where you'd buy the teflon grease but apparently it's available at some parts stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back