Benefits of Polyurea grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
at work we use polyurea base grease on everything. that is because the former facility manager decided chevron SRI grease was the proper grease for everything. after doing some research and discussing it with a chevron lube engineer it was decided that SRI is completly the wrong grease for my applications (general ball bearing lube such as pillow blocks). because SRI is polyurea based i need to keep using that base and switched to chevron black pearl which has much more additives, is polyurea complex, is usually lithium compatable, and is correct for my applications. generally lithium grease is used for my applications.
what makes polyurea different other than it's base? what are some of it's attributes?

thanks for the info/article molakule,
my search did turn those threads up. i was just trying to get a bit of a discussion going in this slow moving section.
the majority of my applications are ball bearings but generally not high speed or high heat, usually 3000 rpm of less with a constant load and a temp of 150*f or less.

Tom:
Polyurea greases generally have high dropping points. The other characteristic is that they leave much less dried sediment/leftover soap as the grease gets used up and replenished over time. that's why polyurea is popular as an elec. motor grease. motors are high speed and have tight tolerances, and a grease that doesn't 'build up' over time is desired.
SRI, specifically, is a lightweight product, ideal for hi-speed, low load applications like a motor.
For general industrial rolling-element bearings, however, lithium complex EP greases (using heavier base oils than those in SRI) are commonplace, and can be cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back