mixing grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the different types of grease be mixed (different bases)? If you don't know what type grease was used before, which direction do you go?

RB, explain why it wouldn't be better to pump a lot of the new grease in to push out or purge the old stuff out.

Thanks!

If there aren't any seals to damage by the pressure of the grease you can do it that way,in fact when I lubricate the U-joints on our machinery I look for fairly fresh grease to come out at all the bearings, but if there's a rubber boot or a sheilded bearing I'm more cautious as you could blow out the seal or push the sheild into the cage on the bearing, or push the seals off giving water and dirt a place to enter.

If you can't remove the bearing and clean it and incompatability was a concern I normally grease the bearing with smaller amounts of the new grease at shorter time intervals, until your fairly sure you have most of it out. But try to be sure you don't over grease. I usually pump it in slow and stop if I feel any amount of back preassure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back