Jeep Lube Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

harbor

Site Donor 2024
My wife has a year old Jeep Grand Cherokee that I'm trying to keep out of the dealership service dept. by doing my own oil changes, tire rotations, etc...

Every 6K the manual calls for lubricating "the upper knuckle ball stud at steering & suspension ball joints". Vehicle appears to have no zerke fittings.

Anyone have any idea how to perform this service and what type of lubricant is required?

Thanks in advance!

I just done a search over on JU for ya. Looks like you only have 2 zerks. They are on top of the upper ball joints and you may need to remove the wheels to see/get to them.

This is on a 4x4 model. If you have a 2x4 then you may not have them.

I have a 2002 and they are exactly where Chris142 stated, on both 4x4 and 2x4 models. You can get to them by reaching across the top of your tire and then down behind it. Not the easiest to get to, but no need for wheel removal.

Why they didn't put a zerk on the bottom ball joint is beyond me.I take a grease needle and poke it thru ther bottom rubber boot giving it a shot
grin.gif

I have an old grand cherokee (ZJ) with all the zerks.
What type of grease should I use in:
-Control Arms (aftermarket)
-Steering/ knuckles
- drive shaft ujoints

currently, I am using the red Mobil 1 synthetic in the u joints and Green Marine grease (valvoline I think, not sure) in all the other stuff

(the jeep sees alot of water/mud and high stress applications)

I bought a tube of the recomended Crystler grease at the dealer and sold my jeep at 176,000 miles with a tight front end. I recomend not to mix greases and just use the factory rcomended grease.

quote:

Originally posted by OiledMustangGT:
I have an old grand cherokee (ZJ) with all the zerks.
What type of grease should I use in:
-Control Arms (aftermarket)
-Steering/ knuckles
- drive shaft ujoints

currently, I am using the red Mobil 1 synthetic in the u joints and Green Marine grease (valvoline I think, not sure) in all the other stuff

(the jeep sees alot of water/mud and high stress applications)

I use Supertech marine in my aftermarket control arms (Tera and RE) I also started using the marine grease on my quick disconnects, tie rod, and steering knukles.

I use Redline CV-2 on all the u-joints. I probably should use something else for the steering knuckles besides the marine grease maybe?

FWIW the Wrangler here at my house gets Amsoil S2K grease everywhere. Holds up pretty darn good with water and mud. Previously it got Mobil-1 grease.
cheers.gif

Guys - Thanks for the input.

Decided to go with Mobil 1 synthetic grease. Although Schaeffer's seemed to get more favorable reviews on this site, I didn't want to go through the hassle of mail order.

Lubed up the 2 zerks last spring, and no red fluid drips so far.

Harbor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back