Grease Recommendation Round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
patriot.gif
From my original post

I have been looking for a quality multi-purpose grease to use on my trucks, cars and trailers (including boat) year round here in Alaska (-30F to +95F). For the past 20 years or so I have used Lubriplate N0.1200-2 with no problems. However, I think there are better greases available today.

I found the availability of quality greases here in Alaska limited and bringing them in from the lower 48 is a little pricy (but it may be worth it). Here is what I have narrowed my search down to. Prices include shipping when the grease is not stocked in Anchorage. Obviously a 10Pk is cheaper but it will take me a long time to use 10 tubes.

Lubriplate 1200-2 $3.59/Tube

Mobil 1 Syn $5.50/Tube $35.70/10 Pk

Schaeffers 274 #2 $42.40/10 Pk (inc shipping)

Valvoline SynPower $4.17/Tube

Lots of other average/general purpose greases are available but this is about all of the better quality greases. EXXon Infinitec Synthetic is not available and I have not looked into Amsoil Syn grease.

Questions:

What is the order of preference based on performance alone? My thoughts are:
Schaeffers 274 #2
Mobil 1 Syn
Valvoline SynPower
Lubriplate 1200-2

Is there much difference in performance between the four?

If there is not much performance difference between the four would I be safe just picking one on availability and/or price?

In any given brand should I consider another product or NLGI grade?

Any other suggestions even if it means importing a 10PK from the lower 48? Specifics please.

Thanks for any info.
cheers.gif

I think the 274 will out last the others by a large margin. The aluminium complex is great stuff and is 100% water PROOF!!! The PAO in it makes it excellent in cold weather. I was going to use the M1 but was advised to stay away from it because it will wash out and it can seperate.

I'm using mobil shc460 which is supposed to withstand water washout pretty well,or so I think...Advice anyone?????
gr_eek2.gif

SCHAEFFER'S #274 IS THE BEST FOR YOUR NEEDS YOU HAVE THE COLD WEATHER & WATER ALL TAKEN CARE OF WITH ONE GREASE. LET ME ASK YOU IF YOU WERE BUYING BOOTS WOULD YOU BUY 100% WATER PROOF OR A PAIR THAT SAID WATER RESISTANT. ALL I KNOW IS THAT NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU PAY FOR YOUR LUBRICANTS IT IS LESS THAN ANY BEARING YOU WILL EVER LOSE DO TO BAD LUBRICANTS

Have you called Tim Mills at Mills Outdoor for a quote on the Schaeffer's yet? He is at 1-800-772-7061 and is a site supporter of Bob is the Oil Guy.

Once you get the Schaeffer's try this little wash out test.

Place a dab of your current grease in the palm of your hand. Let water drip into your palm while you work the grease with your index finger. Watch it emulsify and wash away.

Then try that with the Schaeffer's. When you get satisfied the Schaeffer's is water proof and even a rag won't get all of the grease off your palm. Apply some of your old lithium grease to wash the Schaeffer's off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back