Gel point of ULSD...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of my job is delivering fuel to surface mines (strip mines) where they have above ground tanks for diesel.

We have begun, at the request of 3 of the mines we haul to, to put in 2.5 gallons of anti-gel additive for the winter season.

One particular mine foreman told me that last year, they stopped using the winter additive because he said it was clogging up their fuel filters. When they ceased using the additive, he said his problems with clogged fuel filters ceased---and they never had a problem with the ULSD gelling, even down to zero degrees F.

I looked around the 'net for some info on the cloud and gel points of ULSD, and have found nothing definitive. When ULSD (ultra low sulfur diesel) first came out, it was reported that it would gel sooner than the old regular LSD. I read somewhere that it could gel as early as 20 degrees F. We've since proven that wrong, many times over... but where is the truth?

My intention is to begin running some small samples of ULSD into bottles, and leaving the bottles out in the sub freezing temperatures of this winter (Virginia and West Virginia)... but I'd like to get some info from some folks farther north, where it'll get even colder.

Last week I tested some straight USLD diesel, from the fuel dispenser at the Flying J truck stop in Wytheville, VA... overnight low was 8 degrees F. The fuel did not gel, or even cloud. I had about a quart of it in a clean jug.

Any info anyone can add would be appreciated. These mines are spending quite a bit of money on these winter anti-gel additives, and I'm beginning to wonder how necessary it really is.

I guess the cloud/gel point of these fuels can vary from batch to batch... but there must be a norm there somewhere.

Dan

The fuel from FlyingJ was already winterized.

I have not heard of winter additives clogging fuel filters unless it's REALLY cleaning the fuel system out. What additive was it?

There is no one answer to the question. ULSD sold in Minnesota will have a lower gel point that ULSD sold in Florida. Its already been accounted for in the refining and delivery process to avoid gelling in the expected local climate. Issues sometimes arise with extreme cold snaps in areas that don't expect it.

One hobby here is to watch all the semi's that stall out in ultra cold weather when they've left from somewhere down south with fuel not ready for the cold up here.

The mine operator may be having issues with the additive cleaning junk out of the fuel systems and thereby causing clogging. This issue arose in MN when biodiesel (B2) was mandated statewide, and there was a rash of vehicles with issues.

It's not winterized at Flying J here in Virginia, although it might be elsewhere (like up farther north)... I've worked for Flying J almost 17 years, and we don't put anything in it in these parts, it's just straight rack diesel.

I'm switching jobs to another carrier next week that's going to be dedicated to surface mine hauling, where all of the tanks are above ground (no geo-thermal heat)... so that's why I'm interested in the gel points.

Dan

Originally Posted By: fuel tanker man
It's not winterized at Flying J here in Virginia, although it might be elsewhere (like up farther north)... I've worked for Flying J almost 17 years, and we don't put anything in it in these parts, it's just straight rack diesel.

I'm switching jobs to another carrier next week that's going to be dedicated to surface mine hauling, where all of the tanks are above ground (no geo-thermal heat)... so that's why I'm interested in the gel points.

Dan

Summer fuel would have have been a mess at 8*F. FlyingJ may not have put anything in, but it's winterized, either with additives or blending with D1. (MNGopher explained it better)

To add to one of the original questions, I know with the additive I use it clearly states that it must be above 30f for proper mixing. Basically if they were trying to add the winter additive and the fuel was too cold for proper protection they were wasting thier money and the fuel would gel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back