Types of grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I’m new and have a question about types of greases. My owner’s manual specifies three different types of grease for different applications:

Wheel bearings: Lithium base wheel bearing grease, NLGI #2
Front drive shaft thrust bushings: Lithium soap base chassis grease, NLGI #1
Slide yoke/double cardan joint: Moly fortified lithium base chassis grease, NLGI #2
Spiders: Lithium base chassis grease, NLGI #2

My question is this: Do I need to use three different types of grease for these applications, or can I just use the moly-fortified #2 grease all the way around. Also, is there a difference between chassis grease and wheel bearing grease? Thanks for any help.

Craig

Your lithium based product will be more water resistant in the applications for which it is recommended. The grease you use for your wheel bearings should be specific for that application as they have to deal with more heat than the chassis for instance. If the moly fortified grease you are considering is wheel bearing compatible, I'd use it for all your components.

So should I try to find a high temp, moly-fortified grease to use all around? I know you shouldn't mix different soap bases, so will it be okay to use only one type since they are all lithium based? It just seems like overkill having 3 different grease guns sitting around.

Thanks,
Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back