Falken FK-452, 245/40/17, XL-rated: Did not like!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to share my experience here.

With over 15,000 miles on them, these tires have about half their tread left. Not bad for supposedly performance-oriented summer tires and aggressive BMW alignment specs. Also, at $124 each, they weren't too expensive compared to their competitors. That's the end of the good things I have to say about them.

The noise alone would be enough to make me want to get rid of them. When they were brand new, they were slightly worse than my old worn-down set of ContiSportContact 3s; now they roar like my car is a steamroller. The ride is almost as bad. It simply is far too harsh, presumably due to the heavily reinforced sidewall. The combination of noise and harshness makes the car a bit difficult to tolerate for more than 30-40 minutes at a time.

I would feel a lot less annoyed if the tires had some dynamic advantages in exchange for their shorcomings. For example, it would be nice if those rock-hard sidewalls provided decent steering feel and response. Such is not the case. Grip is nothing special, steering is dull and vague, and the car requires constant corrections to stay on-center regardless of alignment.

To attempt to put this into perspective: My (also half-worn) 225-section winter tires are better in literally every respect, except possibly ultimate grip levels (on which I can't comment). They track, ride, handle, feel, and sound better, by a substantial margin. For winter tires to have those advantages over performance summer tires that were supposedly made for "luxury" vehicles (per Falken's marketing) is... a bit strange.

I'm sure other sizes of this tire without the XL rating would be much more tolerable, but this particular size was junk. They saved me a lot of money over some of my other options, but they made the car almost unpleasant to drive. Definitely not worth it.

I'll have to see when the spring comes around. My finances don't give me a lot of leeway right now, or else I would have Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s already. I may or may not be able to afford them (or something equivalent) when the time comes to go back to summer tires; we'll see. The only thing of which I am certain is that I am done with cheap tires...

I have the Michelin Pilots on my 2008 AWD turbo Volvo S40. They are awefull! Road noise is REALLY, REALLY bad. it started at the 10,000 miles mark and the tires a just about bald at 24,000 miles. The cars alighnmet is correct and and the tires were rotated ever 5,000 miles. My Volvo shop said they see this on Michelins a lot and no lionger recomend them to anyone. They see all kinds of problems with them. I'm currently searching for a new all season tire and I'm considering the Toyo Versado and Nokian WRG2.

That thing deserves at least the 615Ks (if you were going to choose Falkens, or ever stick with them now).
wink.gif

(Yes, I know that they are more than the 452s, but still.)

I had Falken FK-452 on S2000 and E430 3-4 years ago, I don't like it on either car. It did not lasted very long on either car either, the rear on S2000 lasted only 12k miles and the front lasted 19-20k miles. All four on E30 lasted about 24-25k miles.

If you're looking for UHP summer tires for your BMW, Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport is not too expensive and has good reviews. Yokohama AVID ENVigor is a good choice for UHP all-season.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Yokohama AVID ENVigor is a good choice for UHP all-season.

Or the Continental DWS.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
That thing deserves at least the 615Ks (if you were going to choose Falkens, or ever stick with them now).
wink.gif

I presume you're talking about the Azenis RT615. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd be happy to consider those if I ever raced the car or didn't care about grip on wet roads, but as of now the car is street-only and wet grip is very important.

If you're looking for UHP summer tires for your BMW, Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport is not too expensive and has good reviews.

When the time comes, I will probably stick to the ones that are frequently used by OEMs: Pilot Sport PS2/PS3, Potenza RE050A Pole Position, ContiSportContact 3, etc.

But again, time will tell; I'll be postponing the purchase as long as I can, so I'm not too invested in the search for a new tire just yet.

Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton
Yokohama AVID ENVigor is a good choice for UHP all-season.

Or the Continental DWS.

No all-seasons for me. These will be summer tires.

Dude,

You'll have to excuse me, but I have a pretty good sense when I see tire sizes that aren't quite right - and you alluded to it by mentioning your winter tires. You are commenting on a 245/40R17, but you didn't tell us what the original tire size was. I noticed that your signature has the vehicle info and a 1996 M3 came with a staggered fitment.

I'm wondering if you put that size all around. That size requires a minimum of an 8" wide rim, and according to Tire Guides a 1996 M3 came with 225/45R17's on 7½" on the front, and 245/40R17's on 8½"on the rear. You didn't put 245/40R17's all around did you? If you did, that might explain at least part of your experience.

Last edited:
Good catch.

I use my stock rims for my winter tires. For spring, summer, and fall, I run my 245/40/17 summer tires on a separate set of four 8.5" rims.

Before I had these Falkens on my summer wheels, I had a set of Continental ContiSportContact 3s in the same size on the same 8.5" rims, which I liked much more.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
wink.gif

I presume you're talking about the Azenis RT615. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd be happy to consider those if I ever raced the car or didn't care about grip on wet roads, but as of now the car is street-only and wet grip is very important.

Yes, but I actually meant the "K" version which is stickier than the standard 615s, and was produced to compete with all of the stickier 'Street Touring' class tires released since the original, dominating, RT-615s (i.e.; Direzzas, Ventus RS3s, etc.).

Although I realize this would be going too far the other way, as the "regular" RT-615 is probably already too fast-wearing (and slippy, as the Brits would say, when wet) for your intended purposes.
wink.gif

I was actually going to suggest the Toyo R888s, if you wanted a corner KILLING tire, but these are 100 treadwear, 'streetable' open track/TT/Time Attack type donuts, which will not last very long even under the best of conditions.
I am told that they perform A LOT better in the wet than their tread pattern would ever suggest, though (at FULL tread depth, at least).

Yes, but I actually meant the "K" version which is stickier than the standard 615s, and was produced to compete with all of the stickier 'Street Touring' class tires released since the original, dominating, RT-615s (i.e.; Direzzas, Ventus RS3s, etc.).

Although I realize this would be going too far the other way, as the "regular" RT-615 is probably already too fast-wearing (and slippy, as the Brits would say, when wet) for your intended purposes.
wink.gif

Yeah, pretty much.

Treadwear is secondary, but wet braking and handling are my highest priorities. I figure any top performer in the wet will have more than enough dry grip for me on the street anyway.

I was actually going to suggest the Toyo R888s, if you wanted a corner KILLING tire, but these are 100 treadwear, 'streetable' open track/TT/Time Attack type donuts, which will not last very long even under the best of conditions.
I am told that they perform A LOT better in the wet than their tread pattern would ever suggest, though (at FULL tread depth, at least).

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back