CV joint grease was cooked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the best way I can describe it. My Audi S4 developed a vibration when under load and it turned out to be the front and rear drive shaft CV's. When we took them apart the grease looked like dried, baked tar. Had to use a screwdriver to scrape the grease out. Cleaned them up and repacked with some packs of CV grease that had been supplied with some other CV joints. Works fine now.
My concern is that it will happen again as the driveshaft is right above the exhaust on a twin turbo engine (read "hot") Car has 117k and I'm wondering if there is a CV grease that will hold up better in this instance. BTW, no tears in the boot, all was still sealed up tight.

you sould like a good canidate for some exhaust wrap.

i would have to figure the boot would go bad before the grease though.

There is a heat shield between the exhaust and the driveshaft. Guess it's not enough. There isn't much of a rubber boot on these cv's as they don't have much of an angle to them.

Do not use exhaust wrap unless your manifolds are stainless steel. Mild steel usually can't handle the extra heat. They do make polyurethane cv boots, that might endure a little extra heat. Go with a very high temp grease for the cv joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back