what grease do you reccomend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
schaeffer's 274 or 221 or 229 all will do the job very well the best thing is that it is a aluminum complex thickener wich will give you excellent resistance to water wash out and the high viscosity index paraffin base stocks and the moly will help you extend grease intervals

thanks alot where can i find schaeffers grease at and what can i exspect to pay for it and thanks again
smile.gif

you can call schaeffer's home office or depending on what part of KY you are from you can stop by the schaeffer's booth at the NATIONAL FARM MACHINERY SHOW at the KENTUCKY FAIR AND EXPOSITION CENTER. there will be someone there that can tell you more about it and let you know where you can get some
THE DATES ARE FEB 11 12 13 14 TTHE SHOW IS FREE STOP IN BOOTH 182 EAST HALL

[ February 09, 2004, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

howdy i am new to the site and if this has been ask before iam sorry but i wanted to know what one grease was best for lubeing my u joints,tire rods and chassis i have a 03 tahoe and silverado and at about how often should i lube them thanks

I really like the schaeffer's 274 that I am currently using. Before the schaeffer's, I used valvoline durablend, and it seemed to do well. I check everything at each oil change, and usually relube every 6 months.

Well, to be honest I used to use what the U.S. Army threw away. My Dad and I would fill a butter tube full of Moly EP grease by scraping the sides of the huge grease drums the motor pool threw away. We had child cheaters we would use. Some times we would get three large butter tubs of grease that way. When I had to start buying it I used QS Moly EP. I have wheel bearing on a 4x4 in a 1986 that still look new. THat same truck has the origanal CV-joints. I used a needle and a greese gun to lube them every year!I clean the boot with 100% alchol and then rub a dap of black rtv over the puncture area for the needle. Becareful not to tear boot!

We used to get Break Free the same way. When ever we saw a drum in the trash or buy it we would check to see how much was in it. Often their was 8-24 onzes left in a five gallon pail.

Moly EP grease is the only way to go!! I use Moly EP grease every wear!! IF you can find a synthetic grease that also has Moly then that is even better. For automotive use I have found that it works great. I have tried non-moly fortified lithium bas gease and calcium based lubes and have not liked them as much.

Last time I bought some I bought six big tubes of Sunoco Moly EP for $.68 a tube. The place was going out of business so I bought what they had left! MOLY EP #2 or #3 and you will be fine!

P.S. You can add miltec-1 to any grease. I added some last time to my wheel bearings I used a pop sicle stick to whip it into the grease.

[ February 14, 2004, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

quote:

Originally posted by oil365:
you can call schaeffer's home office or depending on what part of KY you are from you can stop by the schaeffer's booth at the NATIONAL FARM MACHINERY SHOW at the KENTUCKY FAIR AND EXPOSITION CENTER. there will be someone there that can tell you more about it and let you know where you can get some
THE DATES ARE FEB 11 12 13 14 TTHE SHOW IS FREE STOP IN BOOTH 182 EAST HALL

Parking was $4 though.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back