High temp grease needed..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a woodstove that requires me to lube the hinge pins once a month or so. I have been using Dynatex Anti-Seize, but it seems to cake up and not last very long. The hinges probably get up to 600-700 deg F. Is there a better grease on the market that will stand up to those temps.
Thanks,
Mike

Try powdered graphite. It never cakes up unless there is oil or grease. Might try some of silicones such as tune up grease too.

Hi Labman,
Where would I find powdered graphite? How would I make it stick to the hinge pins.

Thanks,
Mike

Would this work?

-

"A highly refined blend of aluminum, copper and graphite lubricants. Use during assembly to prevent galling, corrosion and seizing and to assure easier disassembly. Temperature range: -60°F to 1600°F."

Any automotive or hardware store should have plastic tubes of it. Squeezing the tube blows graphite everywhere. Usually at least a little goes in the crevice between the metal pieces. You can also remove the pin and rub some on with your finger. You may want to let the stove cool off first.

Thanks Jelly and Labman, I'll try the graphite, and if that doesn't work I'll try the Permatex brand antiseize. Maybe the Dynatex stuff I've been using is just el cheapo.

Mike

Use "Never Seize." I don't know the manufacturer, but have some from a machine shop. I have use this stuff on exhaust manifold bolts and that have come out years later with the compound still on the threads.

I know "ROCOL", a company in the UK makes an excellent high temp grease. Very expensive though - about $4000.00CDN a gallon.

YES YOU COULD USE 227 OR 286 BUT I THINK YOUR BEST BET IS SCHAEFFER'S 248 MOLY SYNGARD IT IS BENTONE BASE/NO MELT HAS SYNTHESIZED MOLY. THE BEST PART IS IT IS A CREAM COLER NOT BLACK AND WILL NOT GET EVERY THING BLACK. IF GREASE GUN IS KEEP IN SIDE I WOULD GO WITH A #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back