Which fuel additive in my Explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan to use either Regane or Techron in my Explorer for the first time. I've never used a fuel additive in it that I can remember (133,000 miles on it now) because it seems to run fine. Anyway, we are driving a 2000 mile trip over Xmas and I thought this would be a good time to use some. Which one should I use? Advance has both brands on sale (Techron is BOGO). Thanks!

Either will do ...If I had to choose I'd go with Techron and just follow the instructions .

I thought I would use 1 bottle per fill up (4 total) for the trip. Two tanks there, two tanks back. Too much? Will one or two do the trick?

Last edited:
Both are good products. You can't choose incorrectly. Between the two I would pick whichever one is cheapest, which sounds like the Techron BOGO at the moment.

That does sound little too much. Assuming Explorer tank size is about 25 gallon, put two 15Oz Techron Plus bottles in the tank on the way and that's it.

I will confuse you even more. I recommend Regane, because it has PEA in it and will do the most cleaning and give the most benefit. I think I read somewehere here that Techron either has a lot less PEA or has no PEA at all. Regane and Red Line SL-1 are the 2 best fuel cleaners. High Mileage Regane is supposed to have even more PEA in it than regular Regane. PEA is going to do the most cleaning and provide the most noticeable benefits.

Techron is good, a lot of people use it, but I think Regane is better.

I wonder if GumOut would say which of their Regane products has the most PEA if we emailed them ?

I use Redline but half a bottle every 6 months.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I wonder if GumOut would say which of their Regane products has the most PEA if we emailed them ?

The Critic emailed them not long ago:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2098159#Post2098159

Their response was the HM Regane is slightly more potent. They didn't come right out say it has more PEA, but my guess is it probably does. Regane is a good product. SOPUS just sold off their care care lines and Regane/Gumout went with them to Illinois Tool Works:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2106748#Post2106748

I want to stock up on Regane, maybe buy a one or two dozen bottles just in case the new owners raise the price, change the formula and degrade its performance, or in the worst case if they get rid of Regane.

For me, Regane gives the most improvement on the butt-dyno. It did a great job in just one bottle on my gf's Honda Accord. The car had about 110K on it and had never seen any kind of fuel system cleaner at all. Now her car gets Regane about 3 times a year, which is about how often I change the oil in her car. I run a bottle of Regane in my truck about every 6K, it and another additive I use keep the fuel system clean and working great.

I went with the 20oz bottles of Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner. I'm leaving Thursday, so I'll put the first bottle in then. Thanks for all the help.

I recently did my SUV with it's first treatment of Regane. There was about 126k on the clock. After that tank, I did MMO at 4oz/10-gallons. I'm now using the MMO at 3oz/10-gallons and it seems better at that dose so far for the last few tanks.

Why not try to use some TCW-3 in your gas tank. Use the recommended dose of 1 ounce per 5 gallons of gas. Cheap, and effective. Do a search on the board for using this secret for keeping your engine in top notch running condition. Two stroke outboard motor oil in the recommended dosage gets my suggestion for the long trip. Just add the 5 ounces, in pre-packaged bottles, on each fill up.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Why not try to use some TCW-3 in your gas tank. Use the recommended dose of 1 ounce per 5 gallons of gas. Cheap, and effective. Do a search on the board for using this secret for keeping your engine in top notch running condition. Two stroke outboard motor oil in the recommended dosage gets my suggestion for the long trip. Just add the 5 ounces, in pre-packaged bottles, on each fill up.

Not a bad idea, my only suggestion would be run the FI cleaner first, and clean things up. Then go with a good UCL. JMO

I do use TCW3 in my diesel Mercedes. I could try the 1 oz per 5 gallon dose you mentioned. Does it really do anything? Might make the injectors a little smoother I guess.

Here's what I've observed with UCL in general. Not much butt dino results in newer good running vehicles. I use it mainly for preventative medicine, and to protect against flash rusting since two of my vehicles sit sometimes weeks at a time w/o being started.

In an older vehicle it smoothes out the idle and I feel a slight increase in power, others make similar claims. My thinking is it makes a better ring seal which might boost compression and smooth things out. You might also notice an increase in mpg. I also noticed that TCW3 in the gas reduced oil use slightly in my Aerostar, vs MMO. MMO is probably a better cleaner than TCW3. I'd say give either product a try and see for yourself. JMO

+++1 Very Good Point demarpaint. Thanks
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: mongo161

Not a bad idea, my only suggestion would be run the FI cleaner first, and clean things up. Then go with a good UCL. JMO

Quote:
I want to stock up on Regane, maybe buy a one or two dozen bottles just in case the new owners raise the price, change the formula and degrade its performance, or in the worst case if they get rid of Regane.

I notice some PepBoys still have the older bottles of Regane on closeout separated on from the new style bottles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back