Tire Rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do front to back, cross back to front. But that's what my owner's manual says to do for nondirectional tires.

Originally Posted By: outoforder
How do you do it? Front to back, back to front? X-patter? front to back, cross the back to front?

It depends on the tire design and the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: outoforder
How do you do it? Front to back, back to front? X-patter? front to back, cross the back to front?

It depends upon a few things. First and foremost, are the tires directional? If so, they can only go back to front and not alternate sides. If not, there are cross patterns. If a spare is included in the rotation, it's different again.

The owner's manual will often specify the optimal rotation pattern.

I have done the X-direction and just front-to-back and done zero...It does not do anything diff..Hence, look at what BMW states on it...

Probably not the best but, back to front, keeping the best tread on the front. I don't X pattern, that's kind of a hold-over from the early days of radial tires when X pattern was a no-no.

For my non-directional tires w/o the spare, this is what I do at every OC....RR to RF, RF to LR, LR to LF, LF to RR. I've been doing this to all my vehicles since 1964, and it's still recomended for my '09 ranger...It's in the book.

It can't do any harm!

Last edited:
If you cross them over (take a tire from one side to another side) you are taking a chance that a belt will break inside of a tire. If you must cross them over the best thing would be to unmount the tires and turn them so it still rotates the same way.

Front to back and back to front is the safe way to rotate without taking any chance of having a belt break.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
If you cross them over (take a tire from one side to another side) you are taking a chance that a belt will break inside of a tire.

I don't think so. If that were true, then why do so many vehicle owner's manuals suggest crossing them? Every GM vehicle I've ever owned suggested front to rear, rear to front crossed. Of course that would no longer apply if you put on tires with directional tread.

I have a 1997 Mercury Sable. I did not get an owners manual with the car. I currently have Republic tires on the car.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
If you cross them over (take a tire from one side to another side) you are taking a chance that a belt will break inside of a tire.

I don't think so. If that were true, then why do so many vehicle owner's manuals suggest crossing them? Every GM vehicle I've ever owned suggested front to rear, rear to front crossed. Of course that would no longer apply if you put on tires with directional tread.

Once a tire is used for a few thousand miles the force of using the break will cause the belts to pull a certian way. If you cross them without maintaining the same direction of rotation (unmounting and turning) then the belts must shift to the new stress direction when braking is applied. This can and often will cause a belt to break.

Originally Posted By: barlowc

Once a tire is used for a few thousand miles the force of using the break will cause the belts to pull a certian way. If you cross them without maintaining the same direction of rotation (unmounting and turning) then the belts must shift to the new stress direction when braking is applied. This can and often will cause a belt to break.

How come Ford doesn't understand that concept?

take the "driven" tires and move them so they stay on the same side of the car; ( so they can "rest" after being driven before crossing them over) take the "non-driven" tires and cross them as you move them.

Last edited:
my owner's manual (FWD) says cross TO the driven axle and straight FROM the driven axle to the rear.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
my owner's manual (FWD) says cross TO the driven axle and straight FROM the driven axle to the rear.

That's the normal process for FWD's with non-directional tires of the same size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back