Interesting observation on octane levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just returned from a long road trip. 1000 miles, subject model was a 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 with a Hemi(non-mds) I drove 1000 miles up tp Pa, then a week later,1000 miles back non-stop. I tried different fuels and grades. I gained 1 mpg with Sunoco non-ethanol 87 gas over 87 E10 gas. I gained no fuel milage gain or performance gain, with Shell, all E10, 87, 89 or 93 V-power. I ran the tank to 1/8 before changing fuel grades. I could not tell the difference in performance, sound or seat of the pants and fuel milage stayed consistant, a pathetic 14 mpg. I am to believe now that anything else but 87 is a waste of money, 93 may be a good detergent gas, but the 89 is a complete waste of money. My truck did run the best with the non-ethanol Sunoco 87, Shell non-Ethanol was unavaiable. I had Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 in the crank case, changed oil before the trip and used about 1/2 qt. I averaged about 2000 rpm, 70 to 80 mph. Just my observation.

Octane affects all makes and models differently for sure. For example, the GF's Protege doesn't care what octane you put in it. It returns the same fuel economy on all grades (Shell). However, it loses mpg's with different brands.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Just returned from a long road trip. 1000 miles, subject model was a 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 with a Hemi(non-mds) I drove 1000 miles up tp Pa, then a week later,1000 miles back non-stop. I tried different fuels and grades. I gained 1 mpg with Sunoco non-ethanol 87 gas over 87 E10 gas. I gained no fuel mileage gain or performance gain, with Shell, all E10, 87, 89 or 93 V-power. I ran the tank to 1/8 before changing fuel grades. I could not tell the difference in performance, sound or seat of the pants and fuel milage stayed consistant, a pathetic 14 mpg. I am to believe now that anything else but 87 is a waste of money, 93 may be a good detergent gas, but the 89 is a complete waste of money. My truck did run the best with the non-ethanol Sunoco 87, Shell non-Ethanol was unavaiable. I had Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 in the crank case, changed oil before the trip and used about 1/2 qt. I averaged about 2000 rpm, 70 to 80 mph. Just my observation.

It's well known that ethanol fuel gives worse gas mileage than pure gasoline.

If engine doesn't knock using higher octane does not gain anything. But if 91-93 octane is recommended for high performance engines, using lower octane may reduce power and may consume more fuel.

Do they have the ethanol content displayed on the pumps down there? They don't up here in MI, but I wish they did.

I bought the non-ethanol in Pennsylvania, where its hit and miss at stations, One station, I stopped at in Georgia, happened to have it. Florida is all E10. If its not displayed on the pump, there is a good chance its non-ethanol. As far as I know the pump has to state up to 10% by volume on the pump.

Last edited:
According to the MI Department of Agriculture, half the gasoline sold in MI is 10% ethanol, and the station doesn't have to put a label on the pump unless it contains more than 10% ethanol. The only way to know is to ask the station.

The Ethanol content affects the fuel at all stated octated levels. Also not every vehicle can take advantage of different octane levels (by increasing or decreasing engine timing by adjusting the detonation point in VVT-i systems, to take advantage of a higher octane fuel (for instance).

I've always gotten better mileage out of 89, but mine is VVT-i and the manual specifies "87 or higher" rather than "87."

It also burns oil, and the increased amount in the combustion chamber is going to lower the utilized octane level of the fuel, add in 10% ethanol and the combo may affect the actual octane of 87 that octane would be low enough that performance would be affected (too much ignition retardation to prevent pre-detonation, which will affect performance/mileage.

Anyway: 89 can be beneficial for some vehicles, and not for others. It really depends a lot about the vehicle in question.

-Spyder

I've read that adding ethanol raises the octane levels. Does this mean the gas is also refined less, and the addition of ethanol is just another way we are being double fisted my gov't mandates and oil companies?

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I gained 1 mpg with Sunoco non-ethanol 87 gas over 87 E10 gas.

You can't tell anything from one tank of gas. I recorded my best tank ever, over 37 mpg, on 10% ethanol 87 octane no-name fuel. The 20 mph tailwind and the semi in front of me for 250 miles had everything to do with the fuel economy generated on that tank. The ethanol content was down in the noise I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back