Best grease for Ford F150 wheel bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.
97 F150,2wheel drive
Whats the best grease for re-packing my wheel bearings?
patriot.gif

Make sure the grease meets NLGI GC.
Chevron's RPM and Delo #2 are two examples.
Synthetic GC greases meet both #1 and #2 grades and are graded as 1.5s.

Hi BlueOvalFitter

Every manufacturer thinks they make the best. And that is as it should be.

But before you buy some ordinary grease or some over priced wonder lube. Check out Schaeffer's site for their grease selection. schaefferoil.com

Schaeffer's best products are their greases. I've tried all different kinds and Schaeffer's beats them all.

Call up site supporter Tim Mills at ( 800-772-7061 ) and try a tube of the best.

quote:

Originally posted by Neil Womack:
*/*/
Schaeffer's best products are their greases. I've tried all different kinds and Schaeffer's beats them all.
*-*-

That's how it should be, thats where the companies make their Bread and butter.

I sell another line. I have to say, although Our greast Blows almost ANY grease in the world away, that Schaeffers is good grease. Their specs beat our specs on some applications, and visa versa. All in all, the main thing I think, and I;m new..
Is to look at Timkin and Temp. for automotive apps. Next make sure you dont mix soap bases.

Good test for any grease in the berings is to take a sample and put it on a clean metal surface, and SLAM a hammer into the grease.
Better be wearing old clothes, most greases
will SPLAT. A good grease will roll around the edges of the hammer.

quote:

Good test for any grease in the bearings is to take a sample and put it on a clean metal surface, and SLAM a hammer into the grease.
Better be wearing old clothes, most greases
will SPLAT. A good grease will roll around the edges of the hammer.

lol.gif
Hey Robbie, what area of town are you in? I want to come see that test. And what ASTM number is that?
grin.gif
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Neil Womack:
Hi BlueOvalFitter

Every manufacturer thinks they make the best. And that is as it should be.

But before you buy some ordinary grease or some over priced wonder lube. Check out Schaeffer's site for their grease selection. schaefferoil.com

Call up site supporter Tim Mills at ( 800-772-7061 ) and try a tube of the best.

I doubt you tried Amsoil Series 2000 Racing Grease- it is a superb grease i used when repacking my E150 truck. It has a lower wear than even SynLubes grease (www.synlube.com).

Also i checked Schaeffers website and the specs are not fasinating AT ALL!. it scored a 0.6mm on the 4 ball wear test, while amsoil did 0.32mm. Thats HALF!. The only area where the Aluminum Complex grease excelled over Amsoils Lithium Complex grease is when the grease is exposed to water. Lithium will mix with water, while Aluminum will not. But usually that is not a problem with car bearings unlike trailer bearings.

[ February 04, 2004, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: therion ]

I work at a golf course and we use the Sta-Lube extreme pressure red grease on a vicon spreader, Now that is bearings grinding with fertilizer and silicon sand which I can go to about 16 acres with until I feel the gears grinding to it's limit. I tried the Amsoil high temp moly grease and it's cheaper and went 40 acres with no problem. The moly makes a difference and when I tried to wash the grease off with water it likes sticks to the gears...I know what the gears go through and the Amsoil with moly makes an unbelievable difference. That is a real test on the field and it's last about three times longer...I've tried it Use only the Amsoil moly grease cause it WORKS....

We use the Cushman Vicon Spreader with a fiberglass shell. What I would do is put some epoxy rustproof like bullet rust or por 15 to protect the metal and make SURE it's greased...I like the Amsoil Moly grease. I like it cause it's easy and can get into tight areas because of it's size. Also there is that human element of certain talent that can be applied to it compared to a set mechanical spreader.

offtopic.gif
I got the 540 for $410,you can tell it's been used quite a bit but in good condition.I use to use one at a farm/orchard I worked at right after High School and it does take a certain amount of skill to get the coverage accurate. I cleaned it up some and used #221 when I greased it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back