Ford & moly wheel bearing grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 1997 Mazda B2300 (2WD) pickup with just over 130,000 miles on it. It was built by Ford and is identical in pretty much every respect to the Ranger.

The Mazda owner's manual, which leaves quite a bit to be desired IMO, simply recommends "NLGI #2 (Lithium Base)" for the front wheel bearing and "multi-purpose" (by which I assume chassis lube?) greases.

OK, fine. I hear from some other sources, though, that Ford strongly recommends/requires molybdenum disulphide in the front wheel bearing grease. It's proving tough to confirm or deny this via web searches, the Ford website, or anywhere else.

I also note that disc brake wheel bearing greases containing moly are pretty hard to find. Valvoline is about the only commonly-available-OTC maker that does so, and they have a specific formulation just for Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles (which is only rated GB/LB, btw).

So...in searching for grease for the wheel bearings and the steering linkages, should I restrict myself just to greases containing moly?

Does Ford actually require it? Any idea why Mazda didn't see fit to mention this?
confused.gif

I'm familiar with NLGI #2, and the GC/LB grease ratings. I'm simply wondering if anyone could offer advice on whether I should worry about the presence or absence of moly, and why. The vehicle is out of warranty, if that matters.

I have a 2000 Ranger and recently did my front brakes and repacked the bearings. Nothing special about them. I got some Schaeffers 221#2 (has moly) and used that on the bearings and the rest of the suspension. If you live in a really cold climate, use the 221#1 or the 274#2 Synthetic.

I had a Bentonite/Moly/Graphite grease in my 97 Ranger for close to 70,000 km, but now I'm using Chevron Black Pearl (polyurea).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back