amsoil no.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
i bought 2 tubes of ngli (i think that's what it was) no.1 grease and have been using it in my F350's ball joints and my wife's 2002 toyota tacoma u-joints. is that the correct grease for these applications? i live in new england, if that helps. thanks

i am an amsoil dealer and a diesel mechanic but the grease ratings confuse the crap out of me. what is the difference btwn no.1 and no.2?

An NGLI #1 grease uses less lithium soap thickener than an NGLI #2 grease, so it pump easier.

Wheel bearing and chassis applications normally call for the #2 stuff. The #1 and #0 greases are typically used in automated lube systems or for very low temp use.

It's fine to use up the #1 that you have, but the #2, Amsoil Heavy Duty grease with MoS2 is the correct product for high load, low speed applications. Their Multipurpose or Series 2000 racing greases are for high temp wheel bearing applications.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

Several of the synthetic greases call themselves 1.5s.
Meaning they cover all the applications that both 1s and 2s meet.
Sort of a multi-grade grease.
I would imagine that in race applications a lighter grease would help performance by reducing rolling and parasitic loses in the drivetrain.

If we took a test vehicle that had #2 grease in the wheel bearings and U-joints, 85W140 lube in the diff, and 20W50 oil in the engine and replaced those lubricants with lower viscosity fluids, how much of a performance improvment could we expect?

Approx 2%-3% improvement in the diff, with an average quality, 75w-90 synthetic.

Going to a 0w-30 synthetic in the engine would net you an additional 3%-5%. However,if the engine had excessive piston ring/cylinder wear, the thin oil would reduce compression, which would tend to cancel most of the fuel savings ...

Any difference in the wheel bearings would be in the noise level, unless the temps were below freezing. Running a NGLI #1 grease, instead of a NGLI #2 might net you a 1% gain in Canadian wintertime temps ....

The key is you'd have to run this test under the same ambient temp conditions. Fuel efficiency is always going to be much better in warm weather, regardless of how thick the lubes are.

If you could even get the engine to start unaided with the 20w-50 (no block heaters allowed), the fuel efficiency would be horrible on short trips.
The 85w-140 gear lube in the diff would tend to "channel" and there would be lots of iron wear ....

TS,
I use Amsoil 85-140 Syn in the rear diff of one truck and will be changing the other soon to this oil. This is the weight required by Ford and also synthetic. Am I experiencing the channeling problem using this oil? If I am what is the cure?

I think you mean 75w-140 and not 85w-140?
You're fine down to about -40F with that stuff ...anything colder and I'd use the 75w-90.

Compare the specs at -40F:

75w-140, 133,000 Cp @ -40F

75w-90, 35,000 Cp @ -40F

Max viscosity allowable for 75w-xx gear lubes is 150,000 Cp @ -40F. The PP of an 85w-140, petroleum gear lube is going to be in the -15F to -20F range.

There is a world of difference in the cold flow properties of 75w-90 and 75w-140, synthetic gear lubes. I'd install an oversized, aftermarket diff cover with a drain plug and run the S2000, 75w-90 instead. There's a really nice one called "Magnatech" or something like that. Look at the Ford PS or Cummins diesel sites and you'll find it ....

[ November 28, 2003, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

Most 75W90 synthetic gear lubes out-perform 80W90s at both ends of the temperature scale.
Gear lube SAE grades seem to have a wide range of viscosity compaired to engine oils, as seen by the above 75W numbers TS posted.
Engine oil grades have been adjusted a few times in the last several years pretaining to their cold flow properties.
Gear lubes are over due for a grade classification adjustment with the popularity of the 75WXX multi-grades.

TS,
Thanks, I don't go outside any colder than about 25F. Anything colder than that, I become a hermit where it is warm. So the truck gets an easy life, except when pulling my TT, then I worry about heat more than anything.

Seems like the Amsoil heavy duty #2 would also work in CV u joints, but they're high speed, not low speed. I haven't been inside mine for 25K or so. The grease I have always used was just labeled "CV joint grease" and referred to as "black moly grease" and was actually dark gray, not black.
confused.gif

Lance,

Several of the local independant VW shops in Huntsville, Al (Johnson Foreign Car, Pacheco Motors), use the Amsoil HD grease as their CV joint grease ....

CV joints are considered high load, low-medium temp applications ....For wheel bearings, you want the Ams. Multi Purpose or Series 2000 greases, without the MoS2.

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back