Snowiest December

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit off topic but, I do hope that those of us reading this do have good tread on your tires and heat in your vehicles.

This mornings weather report stated that my home town(Rochester, NY) has thus far on record, the 3rd snowiest December and the month isn't over yet. As of today, we already have 46 inches of snow for December and we may break the record for December in this area.

Oswego, NY how are you doing? According to the National Weather Service, Oswego, NY get more snow than anywhere else in the 48 states.

How much snow has everyone gotten thus far in your area?
And too, how are your tire and heater/defroster working?
Do you carry extra gloves/hats/coats in your vehicle?

Wow. It's definitely been snowy up here, but I thought it was normal! At one point, the RIT campus went 3 or 4 days without sunlight, and the snow didn't stop for more than an hour at a time.

In this area, it is not unusal to see no accumulating snow until after the first of the year.
We have had two pretty good snowfalls thus far, and we are forecast to catch some more Sunday.
We have had at least some snow on fifteen of the first seventeen days of December, although our total snowfall is but a mild spring day compared to areas to the north of us.
We have also had unusually cold conditions for this early in the season.
I actually saw a little below zero on my thermometer Thursday morning, which usually doesn't happen until the dark days of January and February.
If this represents a trend for us, it promises to be a memorable winter.
Glad I put new batteries in both Accords.
I am also hoping for slightly warmer weather to R&R the lazy thermostat in the '99.
You do get heat, it just takes a little longer than it should.
This has probably been a problem since some time over the summer, since it wasn't last winter, and I would likley not have noticed it in warm weather.
I am also glad that my wife has a Subaru to drive, since although she is a perfectly competent driver, I like having her in something that makes winter driving easy.
And yes, for those who question it, AWD really does make for an easy winter driving experience.

Absolutely NONE! I aint complaining though. I hear we got some coming our way this Sunday night thru Wed ... . W'ev had extreme cold though - way below average - and it aint winter yet! I Hope the Snowblower starts.
++ As for snow tires_ I have my Firestone Winterforce on the Yaris for season three - love them lil buggers! Best purchase of the decade.

I don't really know what our average snow fall is for the year but we always get bombarded. I just thought I would make mention of what we have so far. You have to admit the the snow removal in this part of the country is great though! Plow/salt trucks are running all night and day. Trust me, we pay for it in our taxes. We have some of the highest taxes(property/school) in the country. Even higher than some city's/counties in California. I have even heard that we're the highest in the country but, that may change yearly. And so are our gas prices!

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Wow. It's definitely been snowy up here, but I thought it was normal! At one point, the RIT campus went 3 or 4 days without sunlight, and the snow didn't stop for more than an hour at a time.
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I don't really know what our average snow fall is for the year but we always get bombarded. I just thought I would make mention of what we have so far. You have to admit the the snow removal in this part of the country is great though! Plow/salt trucks are running all night and day. Trust me, we pay for it in our taxes. We have some of the highest taxes(property/school) in the country. Even higher than some city's/counties in California. I have even heard that we're the highest in the country but, that may change yearly. And so are our gas prices!

New batteries, coolant, fliuds(ATF, OCI, P/S & Brake). We're ready but, I'm not ready...BRRRRRRR!

Last edited:
I think we have about 2 inches on the ground here in Chicago. Boring!

A pity too, since most of it fell in a couple-three 1/2-inch snowfalls. Ordinarily I like to snowblow everything before I leave for work in the morning, but the snowblower struggles with a 1/2 inch (it just sort of "overturns" it into the next row, so I don't even bother. I keep waiting for a "real" snowfall so I can use the snowblower.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: css9450
I think we have about 2 inches on the ground here in Chicago. Boring!

A pity too, since most of it fell in a couple-three 1/2-inch snowfalls. Ordinarily I like to snowblow everything before I leave for work in the morning, but the snowblower struggles with a 1/2 inch (it just sort of "overturns" it into the next row, so I don't even bother. I keep waiting for a "real" snowfall so I can use the snowblower.

+1

I'll take some boredom, having had two "exciting" drives to work over the past week.

About an inch, that melted, or rather sublimated. However we did just get about three inches of rain on top of frozen ground. This is fairly common around here that leads to epic mud come springtime.

I got a used beater last year for essentially the price of its brand new snow tires which I kept and now have on my daily driver. MPG is 80% of what it could be in the summer, but, meh. IMO average temps are lower than normal, or we could have just had a warm November.

My snowblower is all tuned up but sitting lonely. Would be nice to get one early storm then a dry spell so I can make any necessary adjustments.

We had about 1/32 of an inch, and the Inc. Village salted the streets. I guess it was a way to give the guys some OT pay before the holidays. What a waste of time, money, and resources. Now the cars are covered with salt.

I agree with you that people in your part of the woods get taxed out the [censored]; but I disagree with you having really good snow removal. When I was up there last year it took forever for all the roads to be cleared. My GF once said the parking lot at Wegman's was better plowed then the main road. It also annoys me is how much salt they put on the roads. My GF use to live there her whole life until this year and 2 very good friends went to RIT. Every car up there has so much rust it is insane. Sure salt is great for road safety but it destroys the cars up there. I have one distinct memory of a truck salting the dry highway in preparation for snow later on that night. Sorry but I am used to snow removal here in Mass, I feel it is much better and much more efficient; not to mention the cars around here are not rusting away from over salting.

Originally Posted By: J_Sap

I agree with you that people in your part of the woods get taxed out the [censored]; but I disagree with you having really good snow removal. When I was up there last year it took forever for all the roads to be cleared. My GF once said the parking lot at Wegman's was better plowed then the main road. It also annoys me is how much salt they put on the roads. My GF use to live there her whole life until this year and 2 very good friends went to RIT. Every car up there has so much rust it is insane. Sure salt is great for road safety but it destroys the cars up there. I have one distinct memory of a truck salting the dry highway in preparation for snow later on that night. Sorry but I am used to snow removal here in Mass, I feel it is much better and much more efficient; not to mention the cars around here are not rusting away from over salting.

"Pre salting" where they spread salt sprayed with liquid calcium-chloride is designed to prevent road icing. It also helps later in a bad storm with plowing as the snow doesn't pack and stick to the roadways. Yes the salt isn't great for cars, but as a motorcyclist the sand that Mass loves to spread on the secondary roads $ucks also. At least the salt washes away after a spring rain. Generally, I find the NYS DOT does a very good job of making highways passable quickly after a storm.

We got a decent amount of snow down here in NY's Southern Tier. It was never more than 1-2", but enough to really mess up the roads and interstates. The Buick only noticed the snow when it was loose and windblown drifts on one part of the drive into work, and going up a badly rutted road. Snow tires FTW both times. The Fit fishtailed once in the snow, then the snows went on and it hasn't snowed since.

The roads are already white from the salt. And my neighbor who drives a plow for NYS DOT looks very chipper compared to a few months ago.

In the Boulder CO Area, they had maybe a half inch or so. December is Colorado's driest month oddly enough. March is our wettest month. Although if you are looking for great skiing come on out. The ski resorts list this month as the best on record in the last 10 years.

Originally Posted By: J_Sap

Yes, we use way too much salt. It's very expensive to own a car/vehicle here as the salt corrodes everything. If your not having it fixed, your buying another one.

I have owned three cars in the past that, corroded so bad that the structures became unsafe for public roads. And these cars were under 20 years old. Drivetrains were still fine and mostly everything in the cars still worked but you just can't keep the cars clean enough and undersprayed enough to prevent corrosion.

The corrosion that we experience here in Western NY is another subject entirely.

Colder than normal in the DC area; more snow than normal for this time of year.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
"Pre salting" where they spread salt sprayed with liquid calcium-chloride is designed to prevent road icing. It also helps later in a bad storm with plowing as the snow doesn't pack and stick to the roadways.

They love that stuff here. Funny thing is, though, snow in NC usually starts as rain, and pre-treatments often wash away before anything real happens. So if you're unlucky enough to be on the road before the snow or ice hits, your car is bathed in salt spray, and if you're unlucky enough to be on the road while it's snowing or icing, you can bet on someone plowing into you because they continue to drive 5 over the "dry" speed limit on slippery roads with bald tires.

Just stay home.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back