Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it's still the very best of the class, but I did read an Amsoil article stating that they recently reformulated it to be even better than their existing Severe Gear formula. This was as of September 2010.

I know I'm not answering your question, but I figured this is definitely good enough to pass on.

A reformulation can either hurt or help. It seems like it has hurt several manufacturers over the years, Quakerstate back in the '70's comes immediately to mind. Know Amsoil's reputation I have a hard time believing it will hurt them. I saw a test several years ago of all of the major gear oils within the 80W-90 and 75W-90 viscosity bracket and the Amsoil bested the entire field. It wasn't the best in every category, but it did the best overall. It really excelled in viscosity stability if I remember correctly. The one that surprised was Redline, who you always expect to do well, did not hold up well when things got hot. It seemed to burn early, found this out right after I filled the diff in Corvetted with the stuff.

I have a VERY difficult time believing that RedLine "failed" when things "got hot". Amsoil, Royal Purple and RedLine make fantastic products. If you are considering Amsoil go with it and see if you like it.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
AMSOIL Severe Gear is one of the best gear oils and probably the best for a cold application like yours.

I agree, I doubt there is a better gear oil than SG.

Originally Posted By: pcfxer
I have a VERY difficult time believing that RedLine "failed" when things "got hot".

Like I said, I was shocked myself. If you search around in google for a while you would probably find the test that I am referencing. According to this particular test gear oil is neither Redline's or M1's forte.

If you're local stores don't carry synthetics, you can't go wrong with the boutique oil companies. Amsoil is an easy choice here.

IMO, its a coin toss among the boutique oil companies as I haven't seen a failure or excessive wear with any that I've installed.

Originally Posted By: daman
Any idea whats involved in the reformulation? i use SVG in my snowmobile chain cases.

It was increased extreme pressure protection and increased wear protection. As far as what was done to achieve that, the article didn't cover that. It was just the general "we reformulated it to be better" type article. It shows a graph of the 2 increases versus their old formula and competitors formulas that was conducted in 2007. They were clear on stating that the Sept. 2010 new product they were comparing it to was from September 2007.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
Originally Posted By: daman
Any idea whats involved in the reformulation? i use SVG in my snowmobile chain cases.

It was increased extreme pressure protection and increased wear protection. As far as what was done to achieve that, the article didn't cover that. It was just the general "we reformulated it to be better" type article. It shows a graph of the 2 increases versus their old formula and competitors formulas that was conducted in 2007. They were clear on stating that the Sept. 2010 new product they were comparing it to was from September 2007.

Ahh so maybe a base and or additive change? should be good stuff.

thanks

Originally Posted By: Matchlight
A reformulation can either hurt or help. It seems like it has hurt several manufacturers over the years, Quakerstate back in the '70's comes immediately to mind. Know Amsoil's reputation I have a hard time believing it will hurt them. I saw a test several years ago of all of the major gear oils within the 80W-90 and 75W-90 viscosity bracket and the Amsoil bested the entire field. It wasn't the best in every category, but it did the best overall. It really excelled in viscosity stability if I remember correctly. The one that surprised was Redline, who you always expect to do well, did not hold up well when things got hot. It seemed to burn early, found this out right after I filled the diff in Corvetted with the stuff.

I agree 100% about the reformulation going either way but I'm trusting Amsoil to be better with the reformulation. I have 3 new bottles that I'll be using soon.

I wouldn't worry about the 'reformulation'. It has been and still will be one of the best in class.

Additives sometimes are phased out or superseded by the supplier(Lubrizol, Infineum...). If the supplier came out with something newer & better, then it gets used. Same could be said for a base stock, VII, VM, or..... Not everything is in continuum. Kudos to Amsoil improving as technology is made available. Double kudos for not charging me more!!!

It does look like its a tad thicker. Anyone want to wager on what the VOA of the new stuff looks like? more boron? moly? phos? a couple drops more of ester base oil?

2 different data sheets that I have for 75w90:

75w90 Amsoil
visc at 100 16.7 / 16.9
visc at 40 109.1 / 114.7
ViscIndx 165 / 161
brookfield 68150 / 69420
flashpt 220 / 210
pourpt -48 / -50
falex 2500 / >3500(rumor >4500)
4ballEP 66.17 / 75.64

Who would've thought that going thicker with gear oil is better for gear life
10.gif

BTW, the 75w110 and 75w140 looked improved in a similar way too.

If you read Amsoil's old gear oil study, you see where certain 'other' brands beat them in Falex and 4ball tests. The new numbers put Amsoil into the #1 spot
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: pcfxer
I have a VERY difficult time believing that RedLine "failed" when things "got hot".

Like I said, I was shocked myself. If you search around in google for a while you would probably find the test that I am referencing. According to this particular test gear oil is neither Redline's or M1's forte.

Sounds like another person who read the White Papers gear oil testing results? If that is correct please be advised that those tests were commissioned, conducted, and reported on by Amsoil. The results being 100% accurate are highly questionable.

Take what you read with a big grain of salt IMHO and most of all remember it was done by Amsoil. It was not done by some independant lab or group testing gear oils on their own initiative. Amsoil claims an independant lab did the testing yet I have read many things contesting that as fully truthful. Not saying the results are 100% false either just understand who did it and factor that into your decision. This was not a fully independant test. Amsoil was behind it and had a big part in it.

Lots of the results listed can be contested by the gear oil mfg's own testing and published results( at the time the WP's came out ). I specifically checked on RP MaxGear( as I am a fan of their products )and found multiple questionable results/calims in the WP's from Amsoil. I looked at some of the others too, including Redline, and found similar issues. Again, take it with at least a little healthy skepticism(sp?).

Redline is an excellent gear oil with years and years of successful use. While I am not a big Mobil fluids fan you can't deny they make great products and they clearly offer products that are safe to use and are FF on countless vehicles. I would not stop using either because another mfg said they performed poorly. Amsoil gear oil is also a great product so no product bashing here by me. I just contest, strongly, those results and I get real ticked off when people start using those test results to advise/decide on what gear oil to buy( at the situation not the poster ).

Amsoil accomplished their goals with that report that is for sure. It pops up all the time in these discussions and people act as if it is now the holy bible of gear oils. Believing what one mfg says about it's competitors is not a smart move IMHO. Use that gray matter in your skull and think for yourself.

There was a time when Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 was the very best in that class of gear oils, is it still or has somebody come up with something better?

Thanks,

Adam.

I don't know as you could/can say it is/was the very best but their products are generally "one of" the best for sure. If you like Amsoil products their gear oils are very good and would be a good choice. Use without fear.

I'm about 30k on my rear diff and about 60k on xfer case and front diff. No issues so far. This spring everything gets changed.

Use that gray matter in your skull and think for yourself.

On what basis have you decided that Royal Purple has deserved your patronage since 1990?

Recommended by a gentleman who taught me about vehicles for the initial use, personal use in countless vehicles with excellent results since, and I even sold it at one point back in the day when I worked parts and it was very popular with a lot of the top local mechanics and auto enthusiasts.

I am not saying it is the best nor am I trying to sway anyone away from Amsoil's products and make this a pro RP thread. Not my intent at all. I actually said Amsoil was good stuff. Just cautioning against placing too much faith into the white papers when it was brought up. That is all.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sounds like another person who read the White Papers gear oil testing results? If that is correct please be advised that those tests were commissioned, conducted, and reported on by Amsoil. The results being 100% accurate are highly questionable.

Take what you read with a big grain of salt IMHO and most of all remember it was done by Amsoil. It was not done by some independant lab or group testing gear oils on their own initiative. Amsoil claims an independant lab did the testing yet I have read many things contesting that as fully truthful. Not saying the results are 100% false either just understand who did it and factor that into your decision. This was not a fully independant test. Amsoil was behind it and had a big part in it. unquote

I'd be very interested to learn where you found someone (qualified) contesting the results. Sure glad that you don't claim the results were 100% false--maybe you think 3.5% false? or 4.87%? I haven't seen any of the competition companies advertise that the tests were invalid, skewed, or false. Far as I know, none of them have sued AMSOIL for false advertising.

Gee, do you suppose that maybe the claims might be true? Nah, it's AMSOIL, only been around for about 35 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back