Did I Screw Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in SE North Carolina. I've got a souped up 69 VW bus. I just loaded my CV joints and wheel bearings with Schaeffer's 238 #2. So now I'm reading the online tech info and it says "Due to its superior cohesive and adhesive properties Moly Supreme is not recommended for use in passenger car automotive wheel bearing applications."
pat.gif
Did I do such a bad thing? I purchased 5 tubes of this stuff thinking I could use it in my Toyota truck and VW Jetta.

you'll be ok. I've been running it in mine last 4yrs. Been up in va , tx, and st louis in the winter. Aint lost one yet. I normally recommend 221#2 in northern areas but it's not going to break the bank.

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
you'll be ok. I've been running it in mine last 4yrs. Been up in va , tx, and st louis in the winter. Aint lost one yet. I normally recommend 221#2 in northern areas but it's not going to break the bank.

Well then Bob, what is the Statement refer to?

"Due to its superior cohesive and adhesive properties"

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:

Well then Bob, what is the Statement refer to?

"Due to its superior cohesive and adhesive properties"

Robbie,

It says and I quote...
Due to its superior cohesive and adhesive properties Moly Supreme is not recommended for use in passenger car automotive wheel bearing applications.

It didn't say it couldn't be used. As commented before, I wouldn't have recommended it to him up there due to the adheasive/coheasive properties. Obviously it will be considerably thicker during colder temps. Of course, one the grease starts to move, temp will increase, and it will provide the lubrication needed and work fine. This grease is used in trucks all over the country, just a heavier grease.

So I guess my bus will be harder to push if I ever break down up north in the winter
smile.gif
Should I not use it on my Toyota Truck and VW Jetta?

I've read, I think it was from the noria or molykote newsletter, that using a moly grease in a wheel bearing application is not recommended because the moly can actually make the roller bearing element slide across the race instead of roll. And this will cause improper wear and shorten the bearing life

Here's an excerpt from Schaeffer's Tech Data sheet for one of their moly greases:
"Moly EP Synthetic Blend meets and exceeds the following specifications and manufacturer’s requirements: US Steel 346, 352, 355, 370 371 specifications, Caterpillar MPGM, Komatsu, MIL-G-234C, Case-IH 251H, John Deere, New Holland, Ford M1693A, General Motors, Chrysler, P&H 472B, 472C and 472D, Federal Specification VV-G-632A, MIL-G-4343C, MIL-23549C, DOD-G-24508A(Navy), DOD-G-85733(AS), JIS K2220, DIN 515825, SKF, Fag, INA, Torrington, Timken, Rexnord Link-Belt Bearing Division, NSK, Koyo, NTN Bearing, and Roller Bearing Company of America."

Note the listings of ten ball and roller bearing makers. Schaeffer's promo brochure for their moly greases shows usage in a roller bearing that was incorrectly installed and still lived. Some moly greases use lower quality MoS2, and that might the be cause of trouble in some cases.

Schaeffer's #238 moly grease works fine in larger wheel bearings, but might be too stiff to flow into the tighter clearances in smaller wheel bearings. In that case, one of Schaeffer's other moly greases are commonly and successfully used.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back