Key Stuck in Ignition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone.
I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan 2.4 L 4 Cylinder.
The other day I parked my van and I slammed the shifter into park kind of hard (didnt mean to). I then proceeded to turn the ignition off and when I did that I couldnt get the key out.
The key is stuck between off/lock position and ignition on.
Everything turns off and motor shuts down but the digital mileage stays lit up all 24/7.
I tried turning the wheels side to side, I tried jiggling the key back and forth, I tried starting and restarting the car. I shifted out of park and back into it.
I can start the car with a half turn and it goes into drive, reverse, 1, 2 , N.
Also this morning when I turned the car on the wipers and radio did not work but the car started and I drove to work, when I got to work I turned the car off and the wipers and radio started to work again. The ignition is still stuck between lock and start but I managed to get the key out but now since the steering is not locked I can shift it out of park with no key.
Can Anyone help me. Any tips, ideas?
I dont want to replace the ignition as the van is not worth dumping money into Id just like to fix this problem because I dont want to park it and someone comes along and steals it.
Thanks guys.

I would try to get the ignition cylinder out and take it to a locksmith. It sounds like you would be able to that with little knowledge (like me)lol Also make sure you push it hard into park. maybe that will get it out??

My friend had this happen in their Mazda MPV... may be a similar problem. The ignition has an electronic locking mechanism. They pulled the ignition fuses and the key turned and came out. Then they put the fuses back in to start the van until they could get it fixed.

The fact that you slammed the shifter into park and right after that was when the key got stuck makes me think the key and lock cylinder may be OK and maybe something is bent or broken in the shifter mechanism. Keys and ignition switches will usually give warning signs and have problems turning, work intermittently, etc before they break altogether. I would suggest you remove the lower dash and steering column covers and have a real good look at the shifter, steering column and their related parts before buying a new key and/or lock cylinder.

thanks for the replies - I think that Since i slammed the shifter into park I might have damaged the steering column lock which wont release the key.

As you know there's a setup so you can't take your keys with you unless the van is in park. This keeps cars from rolling away. AFAIK this is usually mechanical by cable.

It also sounds like your ignition switch, various subsections thereof, is not aligned. For example your wipers and radio work on "ACC" and "run" but not "start" to save battery power. Your ignition, fuel pump etc run on "start" and "run" which is a different contact. There could be a rod or something between the ignition lock cylinder and the actual ignition switch.

Good news is a lot of ignition locks come out easily with the key in "acc" and need major drilling in any other position.

I have recently learned about this system first hand. It is easy to take the lock cylinder out, and it is a mechanical not electronic system. A new cylinder is $38 on ebay, original make, free shipping on the one I got. I coded my old key to the new cylinder by taking the tumblers(more like wafers) out on the old cylinder, recording the number on each wafer, then putting the new wafers in the new cylinder the same way.There are 8 wafers. The kit comes with new wafers, springs, and cylinder. It is all easy to do.

After seeing the old cylinder, after learning how to get it out etc, there was nothing probably wrong with it, just sticky old grease. It takes 2 minutes to take out the cylinder, but the key must be in and turned to run position.

Here is a youtube of the process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTad_jUyTuA

I had to take off the bottom plastic on the column, easy to do. My switch is made by Strattec, not Dorman. Strattec is the OE.

The switch is not the ignition switch really,just the lock cylinder. The switch is under the plastic column cover, and is also not expensive. Mine just had a sticky, non-working lock cylinder.

I just watched that video and removed my old key cylinder and it works fine. The key turns doesnt jam I cleaned it and put new grease on it and I replaced it and yet it still wont turn off. I think it might be a bent rod or something behind it in the steering column itself, behind the key cylinder. The car is in park it just has something to do with the steering column lock, because the steering wheel doesnt lock and you can shift out of park without the key.

It is more tough than expected I guess. The ignition switch on the end of the lock housing may be bad, or the gearshift/lock housing mechanism has been distorted so the switch isn't working. Sounds like you have a good handle on figuring things out. The aftermarket ignition switch was about $24 when I checked it. Sorry can't be more help.

I have a 2001 Dakota. I know it's not a Caravan but maybe the shift cable is similar to your Caravan. I read in my Dodge FSM that there is an adjustment procedure for the gearshift cable. Maybe yours is out of whack from when you slammed it into Park. Try this:

1. Put transmission in Park.

2. Release the cable adjuster lock tab under the steering column to unlock the cable.

3. Raise the vehicle.

4. Disengage the cable eyelet from the transmission manual shift lever.

5. Verify transmission shift lever is in Park detent by moving the manual transmission lever fully rearward. Last rearward detent is the Park position.

6. Verify positive engagement of transmission park lock by attempting to rotate the propeller shaft. Shaft will not rotate when park lock is engaged.

7. Snap the cable outlet back on the transmission manual shift lever.

8. Lower the vehicle.

9. Lock the shift cable by pressing the cable lock adjuster tab upward until it snaps into place.

10. Check engine starting. It should only start in Park and Neutral.

The FSM says to check this first when the key is hard to remove or takes excess effort to remove. There is an interlock device for the shifter to lock the transmission when it is in park. The FSM says if the interlock is broken the steering column has to be replaced. The interlock device is not serviceable.

This info may or may not apply to your van, it's from my 2001 Dakota FSM, but maybe since they are the same year your van may be similar. Maybe this can help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back