Timing Belt Done with Pix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ref this older thread...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...691#Post1627691

I had the timing belt done on the Civic this past Wednesday. I have done a timing belt myself before but that was on a “north-south” engine that had lots of room to work. The Civic is extremely cramped plus I didn’t have the special tool and an impact to remove the crankshaft pulley. So I opted to have a local shop do it. I trusted this shop because they had done some excellent work before on my step-son’s car. I provided all the parts. Honda timing belt (Made in USA by Gates), Honda water pump (Made in England) and a Dayco tensioner (Made in Japan, including the bearing). I also provided the coolant to refill the system. They had no issue installing my parts and they did an excellent job. Car runs fine. And the total labor was 5 hours which I felt was appropriate. It is not an easy job to change that belt.

I know you guys like pictures. I have some. I had the shop return all the old parts.

The old timing belt. Sorry for the lousy pix. Camera wouldn't focus properly on the belt. Hard to believe that this belt has 118K miles on it. There is no shredding, splits, or sign of wear on the cogs. It was made in USA by Gates. I would judge it in VG condition.
IMG_0049.jpg

The water pump. No plastic impeller here. All metal. And just a touch of pitting and corrosion.
IMG_0045.jpg

And the tensioner. This is the only part that showed sign of any significant wear. The grease seal around the bearing was starting to leak. The bearing itself had no rough spots. But obviously needed to be changed.
IMG_0046.jpg

I'm glad that major maintenance is done. Ready for the next 110K miles.
grin.gif

My dad has a 2005 Civic VP coupe with auto trans but his car only has 20K miles since he drives very little.

Did you notice any difference with Amsoil MTF verses Honda MTF ?
What kind of gas mileage do you get ?

I'm sure you saved a bunch by not taking it to the Honda dealer for the T-belt and water pump change.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
My dad has a 2005 Civic VP coupe with auto trans but his car only has 20K miles since he drives very little.

The Amsoil MTF took some of the "notch" out of 2nd gear in cold weather but other than that no difference. I haven't clocked the mileage recently but in the past never saw below 31 MPG.

Quote:
I'm sure you saved a bunch by not taking it to the Honda dealer for the T-belt and water pump change.

My Civic has never seen the inside of a Honda dealer service area. For 3 main reasons. First, never an unexpected repair. Second, I won't pay dealer labor rates. Third, if I can do it myself I will.

This reminds me.....I really should replace the timing belt in the Legend. It was replaced in 2000 and it now has about 139k miles on it. The original belt was replaced in 1993 at 137k miles.

09.gif

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, check the slack on your gas pedal cable. The 2001-2005 Civics are known for having a bit too much slack on the cable and its easy to tighten it up.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Thanks for posting. What year is your Civic and was this the original belt?

It is a 2004 and yes, that is the original timing belt.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I forgot to mention, check the slack on your gas pedal cable. The 2001-2005 Civics are known for having a bit too much slack on the cable and its easy to tighten it up.

I haven't noticed any slack but I'll certainly check it out. Thanks!
cheers3.gif

Excellent, thank you. I have 94,000 on my Civic and was thinking of having the belt done at 100,000. Now I believe I will run it the full recommended interval of 110,000.

I like that O-ring type of seal on the water pump cartridge. That's awesome. SO much easier than ones that are RTV'd in place.

Joel

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Excellent, thank you. I have 94,000 on my Civic and was thinking of having the belt done at 100,000. Now I believe I will run it the full recommended interval of 110,000.

Yes, you should be OK. I pushed the envelope a bit and went a total of 118K miles. I typically don't put off vehicle maintenance but 2010 hasn't exactly been a stellar year for me.

Originally Posted By: Axe Man
It is not an easy job to change that belt.
grin.gif

Job is 2.5 hrs in Alldata. Timing belts are very easy on 4 cylinder cars. Just wrapping up my timing belt on 04 civic with 190k miles. Changing the cam seal and crank seal too.
Cam seal was in good condition, but heat and age got to the crank seal. Last timing service was by the dealer at 100k miles, they skipped the crank seal, though it is very easy to do. If you ask a dealer to do a timing belt/water pump, they will charge you an arm and leg for any easy extras. Amazon timing kit is 110$ for japanese oem quality, 70$ for gates. Honda sells the same parts for 300$ total.

Some shops do not have a problem using customer parts because they are off the hook when it comes to a warranty.

I know some people that have pushed the belt to over 150k miles with no problem. But if it goes, BIG problem. The Honda OEM belts are excellent, the tensioner is probably the first thing that actually goes. Even dealer prices aren't too bad for belt change, as labor is pretty easy compared to some others.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Wow, would I like to buy THAT! That edition of Civic seems really bulletproof.

I have seen my local Honda dealers run specials for timing belt at $380 for 4 cylinders. 6 cylinders is $100 more. But reading the fine print states tensioners and other misc parts are extra. I was tempted to let the dealer do it at the price but I decided to DIY, it was not that difficult. Took a coupon days but overall it wasn't too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back