CV joint grease - always lithium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If aluminum based grease is a lot more water resistant than lithium grease, why does it seem that all car CV joints use lithium instead? This includes CRC/Sta-Lube #SL3174: "lithium 12 hydroxy stearate grease fortified with 3% moly disulfide and extreme pressure and anti-wear additives. Contains rust, ccorrosion and oxidation inhibitors. Extends life of C.V. joints."

Because it's cheaper and they figured since it is "protected" in a boot, it has no need for water proofing which is correct provided your boot is good. Notice that if you ever get a broken boot, then cv's don't seem to last much longer if not fixed asap. Any idea why that is? hint...

w a t e r w a s h o u t.

[ September 18, 2003, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

With a broken boot the CV it might last a little longer with a more water resistant grease, but the grease is still going to get dirty quickly and wreck the bearings.
Check the boots every oil change and it won't be a problem!

FWIW, I used a non CV synthetic grease in my Honda Prelude CV's. They lasted about 10,000 miles and flat out failed. Of course, the originals did not last long either. Something about very high speed, prolonged driving.

Chris

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
w a t e r w a s h o u t.

If the boot rips, even if it never gets wet, the centrifugal force of the spinning axle will send the grease flying everywhere.

Ask me how I know that
pat.gif

Schaeffers Alum. greases are so sticky I would think it would still stick to the joint for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back